Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Selling sentimental firearms...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tell about a time you've had to sell a firearm that was sentimental to you.
I'm going through this now.
I'm thinking about selling two of my guns that are sentimental to me.
One is the very first gun I ever bought. It's nothing special, a Glock 36, but it's sentimental to me because it was my first one. And I know I'd never buy another Glock, so it's hard for me to get rid of.

And the second one that I'm having trouble getting rid of (but considering selling) is a Winchester .22lr. My great uncle gave it to me. It's over 100 years old!

See, I'm only selling these guns because it will justify me buying new ones.
I'm shipping around for a (either Kimber or Sig) 1911...
And I'll buy another lower to start my second AR build...

What firearms have you some that you regret selling?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #2

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Oh my, I went through this same dilemma. I was handed down 3 great guns that were late 1800/early 1900 to me. I held on to them for 15+ years doing nothing but showing them to people and locking them up. Colt Army Special .38 that appeared was never fired, S&W .38 revolver + matched interchangeable numbers matching 22LR single shot barrel, and a Sharps 1891 1st model pepperbox. I finally thought these are really awesome but what good can they do to my self and family for defense? Not much. So I sold and traded and ended up with a pile of ammo, an AR15, a Beretta pistol for me, and mags galore. Even though sometimes I think I should of held out, I feel like I got the better end of the stick.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #3

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Over 30 years ago just before Xmas I needed money badly for the kids' gifts, so I looked through the guns I had and decided to sell my antique Colt 32 NP, which was one of 400 ordered by Teddy Roosevelt, who was the PC for the New York Police as they were called back then. Brooklyn even had it's own dept.

That revolver was nickel plated with over 90% finish. The New Police looked more like a child's cap pistol than a real revolver with it's pencil thin barrel. It had beautiful mint pearl grips that looked great with it's finish. On the back strap written in script by Colt was New York Police. But the thing that really attracted me to that gun was the large shield# stamped on the butt. My shield# was xx24 and the one on the butt was xx10. Our first two numbers matched. They were probably issued the same day. It's amazing what was carried in the 1890's. Because it was so fancy I felt it was either owned by a detective, or a high ranking officer.

I sold it for $200 to a gentleman who was giving it as a Xmas gift to his son who worked in another precinct as a cop. I hope he appreciated it, but I think of it often and wish I didn't have to let it go, but I did what I had to do.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 08-15-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I have a colt .22 mag rifle and a .45 black powder pistol my great grandfather left me when he passed and they will never be sold, only handed down. My first handgun though, slightly sentimental, would only b sold to someone I knew so I could visit it as I please lol. Luckily I haven't had to sell any of my guns yet

Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5620 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 5981

Sold the weapon that is my moniker a couple years ago (Webley Fosbery 38); sadly because it was my deceased dads. It wasnt a collector when he bought it in the 50's but it became one over the time I owned it. It was sitting in my safe where nobody could appreciate it and when my wife lost her job, it was a no brainer, it had to go. I miss it but luckily I have a bunch of others from dad that I will never sell and Im not afraid to shoot because they nice but not museum pieces.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sold my late father's three Ruger Blackhawks. He was a big six-shooter fan. I'm not, and since they were taking up space in the safe, (and I needed the money), I let them go. The down side was they were all old style, with the 3 screw sideplate. To the original question. The only gun in my safe I'm sentimentally attached to is my Remington 1100 12ga. Got it on my 18th birthday, (a LONG time ago), and it was my first gun. Much as I like the rest of the inventory, they're all available under the right circumstance, (read CASH).

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Default Remembering past loves....

I did once... a 50 caliber Kentucky flinter I built from a Dixie kit. It went to a fellow reenactor who was just getting into the hobby.... So I feel for everyone who has had to sell for money reasons.... I have, however, also given away a sentimental firearm. It's always to someone I know will appreciate and cherish it and can acknowledge who hard it was for me to do that.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if you are thinking about selling them, then maybe that aren't as sentimental as you think. something with sentimental value is something regardless of it's actual worth you would never sell. i don't own any firearms that have any sentimental value to me and haven't owned any. now at the point when i inherit my father's and grandfather's guns i will have some that have sentimental value and they wouldn't be sold for any amount of money.
Things change if you get to a point in life where money becomes a factor between life in a warm home and living under a bridge...

Whats worth more to me is how much i enjoy the firearms i have. If i find i dont shoot or use a gun much it gets traded or sold for one that i will use.

I do have a few that are solely for shtf and only come out to be cleaned, such as my ak47 a couple of mosins, a shotgun or two and a few pistols. I try not to reduce the total ammount of firearms since they can be used for very valuable trade fodder if it comes to money being worthless

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

Liked 390 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Gotta agree with JonM. I have an old double barrel shotgun that is pushing 100 years old. It was my great grandfathers but it is no longer in firable condition and since it was a common brand it would cost me close to what it is worth to fix it. Basically it sits in a closet. I'm going to give it to a buddy of mine who wants a classic double barrel to mount over his fireplace. I hate to part with it but what good is it doing stowed away?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

my Remington Model 700 30-06 ADL my wife bought it for me for my 18th birthday and christmas i literaly cried when i sold it i still hurt thinking about it. i needed rwnt money and could not aford to take it out of pawn.
sigh i really miss my rifle so very much it brought my wife and i together every time we took it to the range :'(
it really breaks my heart to think about it i love my wife soo much and that gun proves how much she loves me and i fell so wrong selling it it feels as if i sold her love which is a feeling that aches in the bottom of my stomach.
im crying now as i type this post sorry guys i really loved that gun.