The search for a decent recession-minded fun and reliable rifle - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > The search for a decent recession-minded fun and reliable rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1291 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
I have seen similar posts about the Saiga in .308. I'm curious to know how it compares accuracy-wise to some of the other .308 semi-auto options out there. I know it won't be on the level of an M1A.

Could I expect it to be more accurate than one chambered in 7.62x39? Or is that kind of apples & oranges? I figure there has to be some common ground between a Saiga in 7.62 and one in .308 considering the rifle doesn't change all that much between the two (same barrel length, etc).
Apples and oranges are a good comparison in this specific instance. They are about the size groups that I shoot at 100 yards with my Saiga 308 with iron sights. As for the 7.62X39, I don't have the experience to compare, but I'm sure you could find some ballistics charts that would provide that info.

I have seen Darth's Saiga 308 groups and many others who have groups that compete with AR's but IMO I believe the Saiga platform is a bit hit or miss. You might get one that has that kind of accuracy out of the box, you might not. Mine is modded and I believe that also helps a bit with the accuracy. Something I really like about the Saiga for a SHTF rifle is the cleaning factor or lack thereof. I don't think you have to clean the Saiga pretty much ever. In fact I might test that by specifically not cleaning it, save for running a brush down the barrel after shooting it for the next several years and I will report on any issues I have, but that is for another thread.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson