The search for a decent recession-minded fun and reliable rifle - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > The search for a decent recession-minded fun and reliable rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think the best thing to do, as i believe someone already stated, try out as many of these weapons that you are interested in and find the one that best suits you. What you are comfortable and confident with is a huge factor. With that in mind as well as your other parameters I think the field of choices should start to slim down. Again, this is just my opinion and suggestion. Plus my weapon choices are limited, if it was up to me I'd still have my M4 with my Trijicon ACOG with IR illuminator and my NVGs

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #42

Keep us posted as to what you get, I'm really interested to see what you end up getting and the reason you chose it. Happy hunting!

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It still sounds to me like an SKS is the rifle for you. If you can afford to step up a bit more financially, then go for an AK variant. 7.62x39 ammo can definitely be had fairly cheap. If it's for shtf, you're going to need to stock a lot of ammunition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY View Post
Keep us posted as to what you get, I'm really interested to see what you end up getting and the reason you chose it. Happy hunting!
Will definitely update once I am able to pick something up (currently more of a funding thing than anything). There is a gun show happening early august that I hope to get to just to do some price checking and bartering against local shops.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #44

You should not write off the larger calibers. I have a couple of the firearms you mentioned, but I also have a bolt action British SMLE in .308 caliber. The gun was cheap, it's reliable and rugged, and ammo is plentiful. I know it's a bit heavy, but it is still a fine weapon.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 AM   #45

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi Point 9mm carbine for about 220.00 life time warranty,operates every time cheap to buy ammo for.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudW View Post
Hi Point 9mm carbine for about 220.00 life time warranty,operates every time cheap to buy ammo for.
Definitely in the running. Not so sure it can fit the bill as far as range goes, but you can't get too picky when talking about a limited budget I guess.

Am I right in thinking that you could rely on something like a 9mm carbine out to a max of about 100 yards?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
Definitely in the running. Not so sure it can fit the bill as far as range goes, but you can't get too picky when talking about a limited budget I guess.

Am I right in thinking that you could rely on something like a 9mm carbine out to a max of about 100 yards?
I'd say 9mm out of a carbine 100 yards in close to max effective range, complete max I'd say is 150 yards. I don't know how reliable that particular weapon is but at those distances I would be looking at a larger caliber.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is just my opinion, but I don't think a pistol caliber carbine is up to the task for SHTF.

I believe that a semi auto in a rifle caliber is necessary. You can pick up an M1 Garand for around $500. or an SKS for less. Same with an AK clone. A used Mini 14 can be had for $400. on up.

There are a number of choices out there. Just do your homework and try out as many as you can. But don't wait too long. You'll have to become intimately familiar with your rifle of choice and you'll also have to lay in a fair quantity of ammunition and a some spare parts.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #49

i will go ahead and break the semi-auto trend and suggest a good ole marlin 336 lever action. you can pick one up for about $300 and you can reload it after every shot if you need to. i hunt in wooded areas where i don't shoot over 200 yards and it has never failed me. it comes in 30/30 or .35 rem. it is the most popular rifle around here and is fun to shoot. i doubt there will ever be much of a shortage of 30/30 also.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #50

For the AK-74 clones, isn't the ammo still manufactured only in Russia? Somebody else already stated this.

If 'somebody' carries out an airstrike on an Iranian facility, knowing that the Russian technicians are handling the reactors' spent fuel, isn't there a fair chance that Russian ammo exports to the US could be in jeopardy for a while if the conflict escalates?
Check the latest articles in Foxnews online. 'Somebody' never makes idle warnings.

I always buy ammo before shopping for the rifle. If the UN does something idiotic which blocks foreign ammo, at least Greek 30-06 is stored in huge heaps at the CMP.

Diggsbakes:
Have you watched the gent on 'Youtube', who hits smaller steel plates from 100-200 yards with his 'AK-47 clone' while standing? He is quite a shot with all of his guns. He has a series of really entertaining videos there.

Last edited by Laufer; 08-22-2010 at 08:19 AM.