Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > The search for a decent recession-minded fun and reliable rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

OK. . .

I love new and different ideas when it comes to SHTF type rifles. But let face it, there are only a few practical options.

FIRST! The AK-47 WILL GIVE YOU THE FIREPOWER, RELIABILITY, RUGGEDNESS, needed to hold up under any conditions imaginable. The magazine capacity and speed is far greater than that of the SKS and options are endless. ALSO, despite what many say, the AK can be shot accurately enough!

The AK-47 has been the most prevalent rifle across the world for decades. . . there are reasons for that.

At least, one AK is necessary for any SHTF plan. Sure ammo might not be as plentiful as the .223, but there is enough of it here already via import, as well as American made to remain available for a while.

SECOND! You can't overlook an AR-15 or M-4 variant. Magazines and ammo are SO plentiful and will remain so among many circumstances.

Why not have THE rifle that has been the standard for our military for half a century?

Get one of each. And be responsible!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Man I love my M1 Garand. It is fun to shoot and always draws a crowd on the range. $495 from the CMP makes the M1 cheaper than most AK's and all AR's. Ammo at the CMP is $96 for 192 rounds preloaded in clips, not bad for big boomer 30.06 ammo.
A 30.06 will handle any big game that I will ever cross paths with and the Garand has a pretty good history of taking care of business.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #33

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Take a look at Don's Mini:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f41/mini-14-sale-29191/#post313147

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #34

Have you considered an M1 carbine? The .30 carbine ammo is plentiful and cheap, and i can vouch for the accuracy and reliability of the weapon. I was able to hit 250 yd. steel plate targets with no issues whatsoever. Plus you can change the set up of the weapon to suit your needs. They can be found for around $650 online, more or less. Just my .02¢

For example:
Basic Weapon

Paratrooper Variant

Standard Model W/ Available Accessories

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY View Post
Have you considered an M1 carbine? The .30 carbine ammo is plentiful and cheap, and i can vouch for the accuracy and reliability of the weapon.
Appreciate the suggestion, Shifty. I have no doubts about the reliability and accuracy of the M1 carbine. I would love to own one, or (and?!) a Garand. They're beautiful rifles, and the history behind them is a big draw.

I'm not sure it fits with some of the more practical choices people have thrown out. The biggest thing is ammunition cost, I haven't seen it less than 30 cents a round online after shipping (and that's with what some people call garbage/dirty Tula ammo).

Seems hard to beat the ballistics of a .30 though when compared to other carbine choices (9mm, .45).

Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #36

Liked 104 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 6

20 years ago when I had an M1 Carbince, ($200 was the average cost then),surplus ammo was still cheap and everywhere. Nowadays, that is gone, and it's all factory, usually more expensive than 7.62x39mm or .223 generic ammo. Ballistics are against you, as the 30 carbine was intended to replace a pistol, not a rifle. It certainly can be very useful, and a lot of fun to shoot, light and handy, (shot both the standard and para models -the para modelhad been "liberated" from Guadalcanal), but I would not suggest it in todays world as a do all rifle unless you can handload for it.
I do have to admit, the little 30 carbine IS a lot of fun to shoot!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
Appreciate the suggestion, Shifty. I have no doubts about the reliability and accuracy of the M1 carbine. I would love to own one, or (and?!) a Garand. They're beautiful rifles, and the history behind them is a big draw.

I'm not sure it fits with some of the more practical choices people have thrown out. The biggest thing is ammunition cost, I haven't seen it less than 30 cents a round online after shipping (and that's with what some people call garbage/dirty Tula ammo).

Seems hard to beat the ballistics of a .30 though when compared to other carbine choices (9mm, .45).
I own both a M1 garand and M1 carbine, but I forgot to take into account your ammunition pricing. There is a local gun store by me that does top notch .30 carbine reloaded ammunition and they sell it in 100 round increments for a very reasonable price. Sorry I didn't take that into account.

-Shifty

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY View Post
.30 carbine reloaded ammunition and they sell it in 100 round increments for a very reasonable price.
That's a pretty sweet deal, makes me wonder if I could find a shop around that does that. I'd still pick one up for fun regardless of a little higher ammo cost. I wouldn't poo poo a good suggestion for the arbitrary reason of sticking with the original post requirements. 10 cents more per round (when compared with 7.62 or .223) isn't all that bad anyway.

How much do you expend when you go out, anyway? I'm curious about what people do for practice/fun.

I can't realistically expect to pop off hundreds of rounds every range/desert trip (unless it's .22lr) with a rifle that is intended for SHTF I suppose. That probably puts the ammunition cost in perspective a bit, so it could always be a bit more expensive if the rifle/ammunition combo fits the purpose.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #39

Generally when I go to the range its an all day type trip. The closest range range to me that has reasonable range fees and a range master worth a damn (I've seen some pretty bad ones, i.e. calling the range safe and clear to fire with 3 guys still out in the open) is about 45 mins from my house. So when my friends and I go we bring multiple weapons each and are pretty loaded up. Ideal though would probably be about 200 rounds for the range and about 300 rounds for the desert. The M1 carbine is such a sweet little shooter, no fuss, just devours the reloaded ammunition and gives positive results. Same goes for my mini 14 and a little less for my M1 garand because .30-06 is a little more expensive.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It still sounds to me like an SKS is the rifle for you. If you can afford to step up a bit more financially, then go for an AK variant. 7.62x39 ammo can definitely be had fairly cheap. If it's for shtf, you're going to need to stock a lot of ammunition.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams