The search for a decent recession-minded fun and reliable rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > The search for a decent recession-minded fun and reliable rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Try out an SKS before you make a final decision; i LOVE my chinese SKS. It is cheap to shoot & has lots of accessories available. Mine has a collapsable stock by Tapco & matching removable 20 round magazines. It also retains the Chinese monopod up front, for stabbing or propping up.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #12

im in the same boat myself, my one other thought was the beretta storm carbine..... anyone have any thoughts on it, do they make hi cap for it? other then that they are about 250 bucks and 9mm ammo isnt that expensive

Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #13

Did you mean the Hi Point carbine? I haven't seen the Beretta less than $700. I have read that it performs great, it's just expensive.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For inexpensive and reliable durable fun id say get a Wasr-10 If you want the same reliable durable fun but with the best of the best parts and accessories go with and arsenal AK. jmho...

Old 06-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
For inexpensive and reliable durable fun id say get a Wasr-10 If you want the same reliable durable fun but with the best of the best parts and accessories go with and arsenal AK. jmho...
That certainly seems to be what most people recommend. I had a chance to fire an Arsenal in 5.45 and it was a sweet shooter with irons at 50 yards. Made me want to jump up and buy one but their price tag is steep.

After poking around for a while for an SKS it seems like people are overcharging by a huge margin.

$300 - $400 for a Russian SKS
New Saiga for $350
"New" Wasr or other AK clone for $300

$600 to build a basic AR15? Sometimes it feels like a waste of time thinking about buying a lower priced rifle in 7.62 when you can save up and get a modular setup in an AR.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #16

Liked 1437 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

In a bolt gun, I'd go with the Savage Edge;

Savage Arms

If the choice is a utility rifle, I'd go with an AR chambered in 556 and build it!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
New Saiga for $350
"New" Wasr or other AK clone for $300
Look at the Chinese/Norinco SKS's; they are said to be less used than those from other countries.

Those are really good prices on the Saiga & the WASR.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #18

the sks is won of the funnest riffles bar non ive had several and they all have shot great there not bench rest rifles but you can take a 20 round mag while sitting and ring a 200yrd 18'' gong as fast as you can pull the trigger. one day there was a bout a 7 or 8 year old boy watching me came up and told me that was the best shooting he had ever seen i thank him and let him shoot it with help, smiles ear to ear

Old 07-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #19

The SKS, in my opinion has better ergos than any "AK clone". To me, the x39 round is more fun to use zapping jugs, bricks etc than .223. The x39 ammo is affordable.

My original Norinco goes with me to the river about four times per month.
If you ever want a better rear sight, people seem to recommend Tech Sights quite often.

For those who find an unusually nice deal on a Russian, they also have chrome-lined bores
(with modern Russian ammo it won't matter), a real blade bayonet, the nicest wood of any SKS, and No grenade launcher.

Last edited by Laufer; 07-05-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #20

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Look at the Chinese/Norinco SKS's; they are said to be less used than those from other countries.

Those are really good prices on the Saiga & the WASR.
A lot of the Norinco SKS I see are like mine (SKS M) and are the type(s) that can use AK mags The M models are a little shoirter up front like a paratrooper model. There is a Sporter model of the M type, they will say it on the rifle and usually have the sporter thumb hole stock. They usually run a little high as SKS rifles go but I love being able to use the same mags in both. I paid $325.00 for mine but it was almost 100% and looked to never been fired. I cured that malady pretty quick though. I put a Tapco T6 stock on mine but I do like the wood stock as well.

The WASR 10 and the M70 AK clones are pretty affordable and pretty nice rifles. I've owned them both at one time or another and always had a blast shooting them. Both are Century Arms products. The WASR has a milled reciever and a lot of the AK super-fans don't like it for that reason. I liked the way they worked just fine though. I still regret selling the WASR. I do have the M70 still adn love shooting it. But it's an under folder and many don't liek that. They don't recoil bad though so it's not like it will hurt you.

An AR would be as great rifle as well. There are tons out there and prices are falling. AS stated building one will get you the best bang for the buck and you can set it up your way. I have a plain jane Star15 from Double Star. Nothing fancy but it works for what I need it for. And the price waqs right (got it before the BO rush). Look around and you might see something good. But they are the more expensive of the ones I talked about before.