Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Scope Mount for the M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scope Mount for the M1A

Christmas is coming, and I think I want to add a scope to the Springfield M1A. There seems to be a large number of different manufacturers for scope mounts/bases available for the M1A. Any recommendations?

I have a spare LaRue QD scope mount, and I would like to be able to readily dismount the scope using the LaRue mount and still use the iron sights with the reciever mount scope mount/base left in place.

TXnorton

Last edited by TXnorton; 11-13-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

TX,

I like the Springfield M-1 A Mount from Fulton Armory. I purchased one several years ago after being disappointed in the original one I purchased. I called Clint McKee at Fulton and have been very satisfied. It is rock solid and has three point contact. Locks also in the notch where your stripper clip unit fits. Also you may want to look into their adjustable stock cheek weld piece. You can change inserts in it to get the right height on your cheek weld. Keeping you from the crane and strain on your neck.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Smith Enterprises also makes a good one. I have a McCanns Industries scope mount on my M1A and it's a good one as well. Whatever you do dont buy the ones Springfield Armory offers as they are total junk.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

TX, get a Bassett Picatinny (I'd go "Low") and don't look back. Every other mount falls short when compared to the Bassett.

Plenty of good mounts out there, but they are a lot more money, and if your receiver is out of spec (pretty common with SAI) getting another mount to fit is not a given. Sadlak and SEI will fit them, but the Bassett needs no fitting.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have 2 different types of Bassett mounts, and love both of them. Plan on getting a third when I redeploy back to the states. (This one will have 20MOA built into it.)

The low std makes for a very lightweight reliable mount, while the low picitinny provides more adjustment points to gain proper eye relief. I find that both work better if the comb is raised, either with a strap on comb, or a Kydex adjustable comb piece. Since this works well, I do not require the high mounts that allow use of the iron sights as well, because I just remove the mount altogether.

If you follow the directions to the letter, the mount is easy to remove along with the zeroed optic mounted to it, and easy to re-install without loss of zero.

My other favorite is the ARMS #18 old model split rail mount. A very low profile, lightweight, compact, rock solid way of mounting optics. I have found that it is lower in profile than any other mount I have had my hands on, to include the LRB M25 system.
This mount, combined with some decent throwlever rings works well, as there is no way to use the iron sights while the optic is mounted.

Note: Sadlak sells a measure kit so you can find out if your reciever is in spec or not, regarding optics mount options. The ARMS #18 is designed with the M14 service rifle in mind. If your M1A rec dimensions are not to spec, then mounting an ARMS18 may prove challenging.
Be advised that there is a knock off version of an ARMS mount out there. It only resembles the ARMS 18, but doesnt operate the same. Look for an NSN on the mount itself. If it doesnt have one, then it is not an ARMS318 mount.

Hope this helps some.

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 11-28-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for all of the responses. I ordered the Bassett "Low" mount this morning.

I also "helped" the wife order my Christmas present (a Trijicon 2.5 x 10 x 56 scope for my M700 hunting rifle). So as soon as the mount gets here I can re-mount the Zeiss Conquest scope from the M700 to the M1A.

TXnorton

Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

That'll be a GREAT setup!

Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Did you get the Bassett Pic rail Tx?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. I ordered the Bassett "Low" mount this morning.

I also "helped" the wife order my Christmas present (a Trijicon 2.5 x 10 x 56 scope for my M700 hunting rifle). So as soon as the mount gets here I can re-mount the Zeiss Conquest scope from the M700 to the M1A.
That combo should work just dandy I would think. The best thing about the low mount is that it is very light in weight as compared to the low pic. mount. I have enough faith in it to use it as a back up for my issued M14 from work while down range currently.

11B

Grunt

Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Did you get the Bassett Pic rail Tx?
To be clear, yes I did order the pic rail mount.

Thanks again to all.

TXnorton