Scar17's are HOT!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Scar17's are HOT!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

im not a huge fan of the scar16 i think its more of a solution looking for a problem. but the 17 is a whole other animal. the factor that makes it different is there really isnt much filling that gap between 556 and 50bmg in terms of semi auto battle rifles. i know lots of folks love the m1a but its not that great a rifle in my opinion. fun to shoot but not terribly well balanced very heavy and other issues with sighting and recoil
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
im not a huge fan of the scar16 i think its more of a solution looking for a problem. but the 17 is a whole other animal. the factor that makes it different is there really isnt much filling that gap between 556 and 50bmg in terms of semi auto battle rifles. i know lots of folks love the m1a but its not that great a rifle in my opinion. fun to shoot but not terribly well balanced very heavy and other issues with sighting and recoil
The M1A makes a hell of a good deer rifle, target rifle or long range "sniper" type rifle, but as a combat rifle it pales in comparison to the AR, AK, SCAR, FAL, MSAR or FS2000. I still loved the SCAR 16.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Big fan of the SCAR 17 so I bought one! yes, plunked the whole 3K down for one. The recoil is just a hair more than my Spikes AR 15. It is still a massive weapon but also why I like it.

FDE is the best IMO. I put a 1-4x scope with 308 bullet drop. I need to take a new picture.

Scar17's are HOT!! - Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves
Big fan of the SCAR 17 so I bought one! yes, plunked the whole 3K down for one. The recoil is just a hair more than my Spikes AR 15. It is still a massive weapon but also why I like it.

FDE is the best IMO. I put a 1-4x scope with 308 bullet drop. I need to take a new picture.
Could you put for example a Magpul MOE pistol grip on a SCAR.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
I'll bet you could. I have magpul pistol grip on my other rife. This one is every bit as good.

Even though this is a light weapon for .308 I think there are some areas they could have lightened the load.

There is WAY-too much plastic on the buttstock. Can tell that just by looking at it. Could cut at least 4 oz there. Look at how little plastic is used on the mil-spec ar 15s.

Also the bolt carrier is crazy big. (excluding barrel) it's probably 1/2 the weight. I would re-machine that and save another 4 oz.

Turning an 8lb rifle into a 7 1/2 lb rifle.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I'll bet you could. I have magpul pistol grip on my other rife. This one is every bit as good.

Even though this is a light weapon for .308 I think there are some areas they could have lightened the load.

There is WAY-too much plastic on the buttstock. Can tell that just by looking at it. Could cut at least 4 oz there. Look at how little plastic is used on the mil-spec ar 15s.

Also the bolt carrier is crazy big. (excluding barrel) it's probably 1/2 the weight. I would re-machine that and save another 4 oz.

Turning an 8lb rifle into a 7 1/2 lb rifle.
im using a magpul moe+ on mine unmodified. the bcm gunfighter wont fit without modding the grip or reciever

i dont see a need for the cheek riser at all in the up position. but i do wish it had a storage space in the stock. i like the design of the buttstock as it gives an excellent place to hold the butt with the left hand while using a rest.

the bolt carrier is big but thats the major reason why it has like zero recoil. it absorbs a ton of that recoil force just because of the mass of the carrier. shave weight there and you increase recoil a LOT

right now im running a vortex 4-12x its the wife's scope off her ar15. ive got it on a adm qd mount. i like the adm's better than the larue mounts. they hold zero and return to zero just as the larues do but they dont tear up my rails the way a larue does. if you take a larue qd off and on a lot it WILL change zero as it digs chunks out of your rail section.

im replacing my larue qd acog mount with an ADM one.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 11-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the bolt carrier is big but thats the major reason why it has like zero recoil. it absorbs a ton of that recoil force just because of the mass of the carrier. shave weight there and you increase recoil a LOT
True, that's a good point. that's why i'm not designing these weapons and FNH is. =D

Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #18

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Honestly if I were to buy one....

This is the scar that I'd get:

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/military/sniper-systems/mk-20-ssr/

I really hope that we can build these things........ I don't really want a chromed CHF barrel if I had the choice.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #19

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Honestly if I were to buy one....

This is the scar that I'd get:

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/military/sniper-systems/mk-20-ssr/

I really hope that we can build these things........ I don't really want a chromed CHF barrel if I had the choice.
Can I ask why you would not want a chromed CHF barrel? Just curious, still learning. Thanks

Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

That's a nice package. I need to go wander around the desert!

Newest Threads