Scar17's are HOT!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Scar17's are HOT!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

im not a huge fan of the scar16 i think its more of a solution looking for a problem. but the 17 is a whole other animal. the factor that makes it different is there really isnt much filling that gap between 556 and 50bmg in terms of semi auto battle rifles. i know lots of folks love the m1a but its not that great a rifle in my opinion. fun to shoot but not terribly well balanced very heavy and other issues with sighting and recoil

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
im not a huge fan of the scar16 i think its more of a solution looking for a problem. but the 17 is a whole other animal. the factor that makes it different is there really isnt much filling that gap between 556 and 50bmg in terms of semi auto battle rifles. i know lots of folks love the m1a but its not that great a rifle in my opinion. fun to shoot but not terribly well balanced very heavy and other issues with sighting and recoil
The M1A makes a hell of a good deer rifle, target rifle or long range "sniper" type rifle, but as a combat rifle it pales in comparison to the AR, AK, SCAR, FAL, MSAR or FS2000. I still loved the SCAR 16.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Big fan of the SCAR 17 so I bought one! yes, plunked the whole 3K down for one. The recoil is just a hair more than my Spikes AR 15. It is still a massive weapon but also why I like it.

FDE is the best IMO. I put a 1-4x scope with 308 bullet drop. I need to take a new picture.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves
Big fan of the SCAR 17 so I bought one! yes, plunked the whole 3K down for one. The recoil is just a hair more than my Spikes AR 15. It is still a massive weapon but also why I like it.

FDE is the best IMO. I put a 1-4x scope with 308 bullet drop. I need to take a new picture.
Could you put for example a Magpul MOE pistol grip on a SCAR.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
I'll bet you could. I have magpul pistol grip on my other rife. This one is every bit as good.

Even though this is a light weapon for .308 I think there are some areas they could have lightened the load.

There is WAY-too much plastic on the buttstock. Can tell that just by looking at it. Could cut at least 4 oz there. Look at how little plastic is used on the mil-spec ar 15s.

Also the bolt carrier is crazy big. (excluding barrel) it's probably 1/2 the weight. I would re-machine that and save another 4 oz.

Turning an 8lb rifle into a 7 1/2 lb rifle.

- Gloves
or

Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I'll bet you could. I have magpul pistol grip on my other rife. This one is every bit as good.

Even though this is a light weapon for .308 I think there are some areas they could have lightened the load.

There is WAY-too much plastic on the buttstock. Can tell that just by looking at it. Could cut at least 4 oz there. Look at how little plastic is used on the mil-spec ar 15s.

Also the bolt carrier is crazy big. (excluding barrel) it's probably 1/2 the weight. I would re-machine that and save another 4 oz.

Turning an 8lb rifle into a 7 1/2 lb rifle.
im using a magpul moe+ on mine unmodified. the bcm gunfighter wont fit without modding the grip or reciever

i dont see a need for the cheek riser at all in the up position. but i do wish it had a storage space in the stock. i like the design of the buttstock as it gives an excellent place to hold the butt with the left hand while using a rest.

the bolt carrier is big but thats the major reason why it has like zero recoil. it absorbs a ton of that recoil force just because of the mass of the carrier. shave weight there and you increase recoil a LOT

right now im running a vortex 4-12x its the wife's scope off her ar15. ive got it on a adm qd mount. i like the adm's better than the larue mounts. they hold zero and return to zero just as the larues do but they dont tear up my rails the way a larue does. if you take a larue qd off and on a lot it WILL change zero as it digs chunks out of your rail section.

im replacing my larue qd acog mount with an ADM one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the bolt carrier is big but thats the major reason why it has like zero recoil. it absorbs a ton of that recoil force just because of the mass of the carrier. shave weight there and you increase recoil a LOT
True, that's a good point. that's why i'm not designing these weapons and FNH is. =D

- Gloves
or

Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #18

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Honestly if I were to buy one....

This is the scar that I'd get:

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/military/sniper-systems/mk-20-ssr/

I really hope that we can build these things........ I don't really want a chromed CHF barrel if I had the choice.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #19

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Honestly if I were to buy one....

This is the scar that I'd get:

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/military/sniper-systems/mk-20-ssr/

I really hope that we can build these things........ I don't really want a chromed CHF barrel if I had the choice.
Can I ask why you would not want a chromed CHF barrel? Just curious, still learning. Thanks

Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

That's a nice package. I need to go wander around the desert!