Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Scar17's are HOT!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5459 Times on 2851 Posts
Likes Given: 353

Default Scar17's are HOT!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

The 17 is chambered in .308 and the 16 .223?

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

yes. the 17 is marked 7.62x51 on the reciever the manual says you can use both 7.62nato and and 308win loads.

ive only had mine for about a week and only 100 rounds or so through it so far but ive been running it in suppressed gas setting using 308win load data and its cycling just fine. accuracy is damn good.

i dont see much use for the scar16 since there are plenty of much lower priced ar15 that run just fine with the 556. but in 308 there arent that many out there and all the REALLY good ones are close enough to scar prices to make price a moot point. the scar17 is one of the few 308 semi that meets military standards for durability reliabilty etc. and isnt a M1a. im not ahuge fan of the M1a ive owned two and while fun to shoot i find them clumsy and not readily or easily setup for optics. the iron sights are too fiddly and not easily or quickly adjusted for elevation for me as well.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
yes. the 17 is marked 7.62x51 on the reciever the manual says you can use both 7.62nato and and 308win loads.

ive only had mine for about a week and only 100 rounds or so through it so far but ive been running it in suppressed gas setting using 308win load data and its cycling just fine. accuracy is damn good.

i dont see much use for the scar16 since there are plenty of much lower priced ar15 that run just fine with the 556. but in 308 there arent that many out there and all the REALLY good ones are close enough to scar prices to make price a moot point. the scar17 is one of the few 308 semi that meets military standards for durability reliabilty etc. and isnt a M1a. im not ahuge fan of the M1a ive owned two and while fun to shoot i find them clumsy and not readily or easily setup for optics. the iron sights are too fiddly and not easily or quickly adjusted for elevation for me as well.
That is one thing about the m1a, for people that want to use it in a "sniper" type set up, they either need to get really good with irons, which is possible but not easy, or they need to use one of those awful mounts. Plus the SCAR is just awesome looking. Have fun with that awesome new toy you got, I'm going t a range where you can rent guns, maybe I'll rent one o those.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #5

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So... that's you, right "Jon"

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

lol no. i just stumbled over that on youtube

Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
lol no. i just stumbled over that on youtube
Lies!!!!! We all know you dress in Drag (this would be in green but the app doesn't allow it)

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #8

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

$3000

Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

not cheap at all

but when compaired to a larue or other high end 308 semi its in the same price ranges and its the only milspec 308 semi i know of. i fence sat on 308 semis for years. but the recent elections and the wife taking my savage model 10 decided it for me

but if i looked like her in drag i would not hesitate to admit it lol

Last edited by JonM; 11-24-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #10

Just got back home from the Firing Line in NH, and you're right, SCAR's are awesome. I used the SCAR 16 but it was still the coolest gun I have ever fired. Fired 100 rounds and only malfunctioned 3 times, all failures to chamber, we were using cheaper ammo, Remington, so that may have contributed. I have to say FNH has, like always, done fantastic.

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY