scar17 sr25 lower saga
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > scar17 sr25 lower saga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5519 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default scar17 sr25 lower saga

As some of you know the scar17 uses propietary mags and doesn't use pmag sr25 pattern. The oem mags tend bend when dropped on hard surfaces being steel mags they are identical to fal mags with similar issues and run 39-50$ for a replacement. Destroy a few by accident and you run into real money pretty jiffy quick. So in my search for better mags I ran across the handl Scar25 lower, and that's where the story begins...

Many many moons ago I ordered a handl lower for new scar17. Something like around a month after glorious leader's re-election. I ordered it from ranier arms. A couple of weeks go by and my cellphone rang and a nice lady from ranier offered to refund my money or I could wait for back order due to some production issue or other. I said hmmmm sure I'll wait I'm patient and I like new toys. At this point no one had these in the wild.

5 or 6 months go by and I get another call from ranier asking if I still wanted it. I said sure and had one in the mail at my door a week later. Due to work and real life business trip almost another month goes by before I even take it out of the box.

Now go back to when I got my scar17 the very first thing I did was completely strip the lower take the barrel off and get a good understanding of its inner workings. Since that thought of what a pain some of the parts are to take apart in the lower I did something out of character and tried test fitting the stripped lower.

It didn't fit. The male tab that fits in the butt stock slot was off center. I was pissed as hell and tossed the handl lower in the back of the safe. It sat there until three weeks ago when I emailed handl sent them pics of the issue and they asked me to send the lower and my lower parts in. I did so and last week I got the lower back. Whether it was my old reworked one or a new one I don't know but it mates up and cycles fine.

Except for one thing, one teensy tiny thing that has me pulling hair... my super scar giesselle trigger doesn't seem to work correctly as the front of the trigger doesn't seem to have enough clearence.

It looks like the floor of the reciever is too thick so I'm going to sand out a groove for the super scar trigger. While the handl lower works perfectly now with the oem trigger, who wants to use that when they got a super scar trigger????

If I had of known the issues I've dealt with I prolly would have said eff it but I really don't like the scar oem mag they don't fit in any of my mag carriers. Why oh why couldn't fn just make a poly sr25 lower

Hindsight is 20/20 and you can't go back in a time machine and slap yourself to tell the nice ranier arms lady you want a refund or store credit. *sigh*

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1056 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 442

I thought about this for a long time. I wanted polymer mags for my SCAR. Handl now makes a Magnesium alloy lower that's about 2 ounces heavier than the OEM lower. I've always wanted to know whether or not the Super SCAR trigger works in one of these, but didn't find any info on it. I guess I know now.

I've also wanted a 20" barrel for mine. So far, that hasn't happened. HDD was supposed to have some (OEM 20" barrels), but didn't.

Oh well, it's still a great rifle.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Once I do some sanding on the lower to make the floor lower it will work fine. It only needs a couple hundredths more clearence.

I don't think it will benefit much from a longer barrel. Longer barrels generate more heat along with the added fps. A 16 inch 308 will reach out to 800yards easy which is about 200 yards further than any practical engagement distance.

One of the best upgrades is the midwest industries rail extension giving me mote room to rest the gun or grip it more firmly. The stock length is really too short. I just wish fn had made the side and bottom rails removeable as there is no real need for them.

I've converted it back to oem config for now as running it without the gieselle trigger is just not gonna happen

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 AM   #4

Liked 2127 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 463

For the cost if a SCAR I shouldn't have to drop a chunk of money to make it take GOOD mags. They should make GOOD mags from the start.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Don't get me wrong the mags work damn well. They are pretty much fal mags. I just dont understand why they didn't go sr25 other than to keep soldiers from using pmags which are just a better mag.

The downside of the scar 17 is everything is so damn well thought out and the Design is so elegant, yet they use a mag from 1947... its just a bit frustrating.

The sr25 design in the pmag is so well designed easy to clean and won't corrode but they went with high maintenance steel mags that need constant oiling unlike the rest of the platform which is mainly non-corroding plastics and aluminum. The scar mags are not easy to disassemble to get at the guts for oiling

This doesn't mean I would hesitate to take a scar17 over any of the ar10 types any day of the week. Even with the minor mag annoyance its still lightyears ahead of anything else out there.

Last edited by JonM; 01-06-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jon have you tried the Molon Labe industries mag?
http://molonlabeindustries.com/Magazines_c4.htm

Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

no i havent even heard of em thanks for a link

Old 01-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

After doing some research on these mags I've read a lot of bad about cs. I've read some mixed reviews on the 25 rounders and can't find anything on the 20rounders which is what I'm interested in.

If I find one at a gunshow or shop I may get one to try but I won't be ordering from mli due to what I've read about their cs.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

after playing witht he handl lower i discovered the grip screw hole was not threaded properly. i did not try previously to put a grip on it. pulled out the tap and die kit and re-threaded it.

so many issues with this thing i would have thought when i sent it back they would have sent me a fully inspected one...

only problem left is the floor of the reciever might get to sanding on that this weekend.