Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Ruger PC9/PC4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default Ruger PC9/PC4

good evening everyone. was deciding of getting a ruger pc9 or pc4. anyone have experience with one of these? are they reliable? dont know which would be more suitable for me. my thought would be for: home defense, target practice, mostly maybe varmints?
any info is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Either one would be a good choice for your intended purpose. The two are pretty much the same other than caliber. They are, if memory serves, a fair deal heavier than many of the other pistol caliber carbines in their general price range and the ruger models are and have long been discontinued so they could.be tricky to find. I am a ruger fan though and I think they are good rifles. Marlin also produces a similar weapon but if I remember correctly it was chambered in .44 mag...

Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1248 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 440

The 9 would be considerably less expensive to shoot. You can expect a 100-150 fps increase in velocity on either round. Unlike the 357 and 44 mag you will not get a major jump. Ruger also made a couple of 44mag semi auto carbines.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Unpopulist
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Ive been trying to find a good deal on a pc9 for awhile now. They dont pop up very often and can be a bit price for what they are. Still a great carbine to have, especially if you own a p89-95 series pistol to share mags with it.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

i did know they were discontinued which is unfortunately disappointing . one of the guys i know has a pc9 he picked up at a gun show for 300 i believe, which is a steal compared to what I've seen on the internet. also i would choose the 40 over the 9 for greater stopping power only. God forbid, if an intruder broke in my home and had time for one shot only, i would opt out for the 40 over the 9. hopefully going soon to the pawn shop and a gun show see if i could grab one. anyone know what they might be going for now? saw some on gun auctions for about low 600 to mid 700,

Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a pc9 which I found in a local gun store and purchased for $400. it has a long tigger pull which is easy to get used to. I found it to be accurate at my typical ranges of 50yd and 100yd and it operates with no hickups using budget 9mm ammo.

It is very heavy for it's size, but you get a very solid platform with a heavy barrel and solid feel for that weight penalty. Keep in mind, it was designed with law enforcment as it's intended users.

It also uses standard and high capacity mags so depending on where you live, you can have up to 30 rounders which should be enough ammo to cover you butt in just about any close quarters type need that may arise.

There are not many options and accessories available for this rifle but for a fun plinker, and great SHTF grab and go rifle, I thnk it is a great option. True they are no longer made, but they are not that tough to locate if you really want one. Gunbroker has then listed time to time too.

Here is mine:

Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Unpopulist
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
I have a pc9 which I found in a local gun store and purchased for $400. it has a long tigger pull which is easy to get used to. I found it to be accurate at my typical ranges of 50yd and 100yd and it operates with no hickups using budget 9mm ammo.

It is very heavy for it's size, but you get a very solid platform with a heavy barrel and solid feel for that weight penalty. Keep in mind, it was designed with law enforcment as it's intended users.

It also uses standard and high capacity mags so depending on where you live, you can have up to 30 rounders which should be enough ammo to cover you butt in just about any close quarters type need that may arise.

There are not many options and accessories available for this rifle but for a fun plinker, and great SHTF grab and go rifle, I thnk it is a great option. True they are no longer made, but they are not that tough to locate if you really want one. Gunbroker has then listed time to time too.
Beautiful! Great deal on it too. I check gunbroker occasionally but haven't had much luck. The last few I saw went for north of 600. One hit 750! I keep looking from time to time. My P94 is lonely and has been begging for a big sister to share mags with

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson