Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   ruger 44mag carbine review . (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/ruger-44mag-carbine-review-31506/)

mountainboy 09-08-2010 11:18 PM

ruger 44mag carbine review .

what is the good an bad of this neat litle gun .realy like it special because i aslo want a 44 mag alaskan and then i can reload for both guns

DrumJunkie 09-09-2010 01:01 AM

I've not shot one. I love the round for a carbine though. The Ruger looks a lot like the 22's. If it's got anywhere near the reliability then it should be pretty nice. The only 44 mag rifles I've had have all been lever action rifles. I honestly have not seen the need personally for a semi auto in that caliber so it has hindered my experience I guess. I have not seen a Ruger rifle that was junk yet.

I'm sure someone with some real experience with that weapon will come along and answer your question better. Hang tight..There's a wealth of knowledgeable people hanging around here.:)

CA357 09-09-2010 02:12 AM

I had one with an old Redfield wideview scope on it. It was an early model with the built in magazine. It was a 50 to 75 yard carbine. It was an easy/soft shooter and fun to shoot. It was pretty accurate as well.

If you want a good short range carbine, go for it. Although .44 mag ammunition is getting pricey.

JonM 09-09-2010 03:45 AM

ive got one. its wonderful little rifle. very accurate with open sights. its got a pretty complicated internal design lots of parts, take down is a little wierd but it pretty close in design to the m1 carbine and just as fun to shoot. lightweight very fast pointing. highly recomend em if you can find one in decent shape.

DrumJunkie 09-09-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 347096)
I had one with an old Redfield wideview scope on it. It was an early model with the built in magazine. It was a 50 to 75 yard carbine. It was an easy/soft shooter and fun to shoot. It was pretty accurate as well.

If you want a good short range carbine, go for it. Although .44 mag ammunition is getting pricey.

Really? I would have figured it get a little further out there and still be accurate(Like 100-125?). It's a heavy slug but it's moving pretty good and a carbine barrel should have helped it some. I really want to shoot one now. Thanks CA :p Now I have to go find one. ;)

I have a Marlin but it's been a while since I got it out. Dang ammo prices have got me acting all cheap and stuff. But I wouldn't have too much worry at 100 yards if memory serves. Dag nabbit and other inflamitory words from way back! :D

CA357 09-09-2010 02:51 PM

DJ, it will shoot well at 100 yards, I just think optimum range is a bit shorter. Maybe it's just my 60 year old eyes. ;)

Fisherking 09-09-2010 03:49 PM

I had an older one that shot well. The only thing I didn't like was it had a preaty straight stock and slapped me in the face every shot. I traded it for a coupla Muzzel loaders. I was afraid the slap in the face would give me a flinch.
F.K.

mountainboy 09-09-2010 08:29 PM

thanks yall

im going to get one if i can find the older model tube fed one .also going to buy a 44 mag alaskan .going to reload my amo .so many gun so litle money with 2 teenage girls fixen to go to collage.but just maybe if i work extra hard an stash alitle along i can get them .oh yea looked at a nice mini 14 in 762/39.

DrumJunkie 09-10-2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 347419)
DJ, it will shoot well at 100 yards, I just think optimum range is a bit shorter. Maybe it's just my 60 year old eyes. ;)

OK that's cool... I was curious..I would like to shoot a semi auto 44 carbine. I really like the lever rifles but I just have not shot a semi. Now I have to. Oh yeah...It will be mine :D

M14sRock 09-12-2010 05:55 AM

I had one many years ago. 100% reliable and easy to fire. But mine cracked the stock, and I came to find out that was common.

But I'd buy anothet.