Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Rifle Selection HK or FN (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/rifle-selection-hk-fn-8918/)

laynejc 12-04-2008 01:50 AM

Rifle Selection HK or FN

I am looking to buy a semi auto .308, I am looking at an HK 91 style or a FN-FAL. I would like some input on the two rifles. I know they will each have their pros and cons, just tell me what you think of each. Thanks

Dillinger 12-04-2008 01:54 AM

Any particular reason you are limiting yourself to those two, specific rifles?

Just curious...

JD

CA357 12-04-2008 02:25 AM

I don't have any experience with the H&K. However, I did have a DSA FAL SA58 carbine and I currently have a Springfield M1A Scout. I sold the FAL so I could afford the M1A. The FAL has an adjustable gas tube, but even so it packed a wallop.

I can shoot the M1A all day and not feel it.

Just food for thought.

laynejc 12-04-2008 02:29 AM

no not really, mainly because I know they have been around for a while and are tried and true. Dont really care for the new FNAR, I like it but like the book says, its a browning. The AR-10, is considered, but I know a little about them, what else is out there?

Dillinger 12-04-2008 02:38 AM

In a .308, semi automatic, gas powered platform?

M1A
About a dozen AR-10 Platforms - and any configuration you would want to build yourself.
M14
Remington R-25 ( Which is an AR "variant" )
H&K G3
Galil
H&K 417 - Of which you would be a GOD if you could pull that off since they aren't for sale in the US at last I checked...

That's just off the top of my head...

CA357 12-04-2008 03:58 AM

See if you can try as many as possible. Check with friends, shooting or hunting buddies, guys at your local gunshop etc.

There's lots of rifles and lots of different philosophies that go with them. Enjoy the research. But don't wait too long. ;)

M14sRock 12-04-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynejc (Post 54047)
I am looking to buy a semi auto .308, I am looking at an HK 91 style or a FN-FAL. I would like some input on the two rifles. I know they will each have their pros and cons, just tell me what you think of each. Thanks

To answer your original question, the HK91 is an almost indestructible battle rifle. It is completely reliable, very durable, reasonably accurate. But the accuracy is limited (in my opinion and experience) by the marginal triggers and sights. But it will fire pretty much any .308/7.62X51 round that you can chamber in it which is a big plus. But original HK's are spendy, and the quality of the copies is questionable. And the ergonomics of the HK91 are crap.

The FN FAL is also an excellent rifle. Reliable, durable and pretty accurate. I do not like the sights, safeties or the triggers, though. But still, The strong right arm of the free world.

Neither one would be my choice for an "only" rifle, but either one will serve you well. But don't limit your choice to these two. And make sure you check out a good M14 variant. They rock in EVERY category.

janikphoto 12-07-2008 08:53 AM

I've been looking at the cetme and HK's for a while. I'm planning to get one eventually. They are battle-tested and seem to hold up well. I wouldn't get one to snipe with, but they seem to do well enough at long range. The m1a would be better if you plan to scope it. I own none of the above, but have handled them all in shops and have read enough to feel confident in my comments...

M14sRock 12-08-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janikphoto (Post 54503)
I've been looking at the cetme and HK's for a while. I'm planning to get one eventually. They are battle-tested and seem to hold up well. I wouldn't get one to snipe with, but they seem to do well enough at long range. The m1a would be better if you plan to scope it. I own none of the above, but have handled them all in shops and have read enough to feel confident in my comments...

The M14 sights are the best sights ever put on a battle rifle. No scope needed. It was designed to be a rifleman's rifle.

robocop10mm 12-08-2008 01:44 PM

I have an HK-91 and a CETME. No gas system to adjust or get fouled. Rugged, reliable and accurate. Factory triggers generally need a little work and commercial .308 can be problematic as extraction is very violent. Case separation can happen. Magazines are cheap and plentiful

Cannot argue with FN's sex appeal. Right arm of the free world. Metric vs. Inch pattern and the magazine issues is the biggest detraction (IMHO).

M-14/M-1A is a great platform too. Old school styling in wood trim. Good magazines are a little pricey.

AR-10 is worthy of consideration as well. Different mags for different manufacturers rifles. Many are modified FN or M-14 mags and as such a little pricey.