Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Rifle Recommendations - for the new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

As far as having your iron sights and scope at the same time on these rifles I dont know about the AR-10, but on my M1A, the iron sights are left on when the scope mount is attached and I remove mount with scope when I want to use the iron sights. When reattaching your mount and scope you may have to re sight in your scope but I have found that this is not always necessary with my set up.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
RL357Mag - I didn't realize there was a AK vs AR rift (kind of like Colt vs "plastic"). Good to know that, I'll take his "facts" with a grain of salt from now on...

I think the AR in .308 is more in my price range. What's are some good manufacturers out there for AR's other than DPMS? Or should I just stick with DPMS? I've heard of people building their own AR's, is it that cost efficient and reliable? Also, With the .308 caliber, am I going to have any problems with accuracy in the 300-400 yard range if I get a barrel shorter than 20 inches?

As far as scopes go, I may get a cheap one and deal with it for a year or two, and then sink some money into a nice one later on. I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but is there a way to have both iron sights and a scope on at the same time? Because that would be awesome...
I only named DPMS because I have bought two of their LR308B's (18" bull barrel). I bought one for my son when he returned from Iraq this past spring. Both guns are sub-moa accurate. Rock River Arms makes a nice .308 AR also. It is called the LAR8. It costs a couple hundred more, Colt and Armalite each make an AR-10 which costs a few hundred more still. Barrel length is not as critical as barrel quality and rifling twist, far as accuracy goes. The benefit to a longer barrel is more due to the longer sight radius on a longer barrel, making sighting easier and more precise. If you were to place a 24" and an 18" barrel in a machine rest, the accuracy would be virtually identical. The DPMS barrel is almost 1" in dia. at the muzzle, making it very rigid and able to dissipate heat, which affects accuracy. On my LAR308 I have a 6-24x scope for long range shooting, and I also have BUIS (back-up iron sights). With a set of high profile see-thru scope rings you can have both. If you purchase a carry handle with A2 sights you can buy a carry handle scope mount which also allows the use of scopes AND the built-in rear sight. Accuracy as I mentioned is spectacular, having achieved a .40" 100 yd. group with my handloads. Theoretically that equates to 1.6" at 400 yds. That would be very difficult if not impossible for me to achieve, but it is possible. Several others on the forum have built their own AR-15's in .223 and it IS cost effective, but requires some know how, which I'm sure would be provided to you if you inquired. If you choose to go this route seek out Dillinger (JD). I do not know of any .308 kits available for the do-it-yourselfer, although DPMS sells all of the parts separately - this would be more expensive than buying a complete gun however. If you have a friend who has an FFL you can knock off about $300 from the price by asking him for a copy of his FFL and ordering the guinb yourself to be shipped to his address - he would only charge you a small transfer fee.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #13

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Also, 6.8 SPC Remington caliber is available in some AR type rifles. The 6.8 SPC has been gaining favor with hunters of white tail deer as of late. I think this would be a possible option you might look at if you build or buy a AR.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After doing dome research, I may just go with a .223 AR-15 for now. I can get 77gr ammo for hunting, and jhp's for "two-legged predators." I didn't realize how much more .308 ammo is, and how much harder it is to find. Plus, AR-10 style rifles are almost impossible to come by around here, and AR-15's aren't.