Rifle Recommendations - for the new guy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Rifle Recommendations - for the new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rifle Recommendations - for the new guy

Alright, I'm thinking about purchasing a rifle within the next year or so, and I'd like it to meet this bill:

- Semi-auto
- Under $850 for the rifle, (spend $150 on scope?!?), for a grand total of $1k.
- 30 Round Magazine Capable
- Legal to hunt with
- Suitable for home defense (is pistol grip necessary for this?). I already own a pistol for home defense, but I'd like the rifle to work for this purpose as well.
- Easy to find and relatively inexpensive ammo (under $1 per round if possible)
- Can hit a man/deer-sized target 300-400 yards away
- Reliable as it will be my only rifle for a long time (I hear the AR platforms are known for jamming)
- Larger caliber than .22 or .223 as I already own a .22 Henry lever action that’s good out to 100 yards for varmint.

Would a .240 fit the bill? I honestly have zero experience with anything above the .22, or shooting beyond 100 yards. This rifle will probably be used for deer hunting occasionally. But I would like it to be capable of dealing with more, um, dangerous "two-legged predators" (in both a urban and rural environment) should the future need arise; I think you get my drift...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

There was a great deal on another forum a few days ago. It was a Polytech M14 for $800.

The Chinese M14's are excellent, but sometimes the bolt needs to be replaced with a USGI bolt. Not always, though. Some of the ChiCom bolts were too soft, but some were fine.

The only decent mags limit out at 25 rds, and the standard mags are 20rds.

The rest of your criteria easily falls into this rifle's realm.

I'll check to see if the one in question is still available.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #3

PM sent with info on the above mentioned rifle.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Alright, I'm thinking about purchasing a rifle within the next year or so, and I'd like it to meet this bill:

- Semi-auto
- Under $850 for the rifle, (spend $150 on scope?!?), for a grand total of $1k.
- 30 Round Magazine Capable
- Legal to hunt with
- Suitable for home defense (is pistol grip necessary for this?). I already own a pistol for home defense, but I'd like the rifle to work for this purpose as well.
- Easy to find and relatively inexpensive ammo (under $1 per round if possible)
- Can hit a man/deer-sized target 300-400 yards away
- Reliable as it will be my only rifle for a long time (I hear the AR platforms are known for jamming)
- Larger caliber than .22 or .223 as I already own a .22 Henry lever action that’s good out to 100 yards for varmint.

Would a .240 fit the bill? I honestly have zero experience with anything above the .22, or shooting beyond 100 yards. This rifle will probably be used for deer hunting occasionally. But I would like it to be capable of dealing with more, um, dangerous "two-legged predators" (in both a urban and rural environment) should the future need arise; I think you get my drift...
If someone told you AR's are "known for jamming" , I'd stay away from that person...cause he don't know what the hell he's talking about!
You can buy a 20" Classic DPMS AR-15 for under $760 new, or if you prefer something with lots of power and accuracy out to 600+ yds, DPMS sells the heavy barreled LR308. This is an 18" heavy barreled .308 cal AR with 1:12 twist and target crown. Mine shoots sub 1/2" groups at 100yds. It currently sells for $925 and is one of the best buys in an AR-10 type rifle. The .223 with heavier bullets (62 to 75gr.) is certainly adequate for deer sized game and the .223 has been a staple of varmint hunters for generations, not to mention it's sufficiency on the battle field.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-21-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard good things about the M-14. Forgive my ignorance, but what caliber is the gun in (do they only come in 7.62mm)? I haven't taken the time to join the other forum to view the rifle yet...

Alright, so a AR-15 isn't "known" for jamming? Ok. That was the original platform I was wanting to go with, but was "informed" that it was 1: "known for jamming" and 2: "wasn't accurate beyond 300 yards since it was .223." I don't know anything about rifles or shooting beyond 100 yards to be completely honest. The person who "informed" me happens to be a huge fan of AK's, I wonder if that has anything to do with his "information."

What are the main differences between the AR-15's and M-14's? Why would I choose one over the other?

Last edited by feedsasquatch; 06-21-2009 at 03:24 AM.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I've heard good things about the M-14. Forgive my ignorance, but what caliber is the gun in (do they only come in 7.62mm)? I haven't taken the time to join the other forum to view the rifle yet...

Alright, so a AR-15 isn't "known" for jamming? Ok. That was the original platform I was wanting to go with, but was "informed" that it was 1: "known for jamming" and 2: "wasn't accurate beyond 300 yards since it was .223." I don't know anything about rifles or shooting beyond 100 yards to be completely honest. The person who "informed" me happens to be a huge fan of AK's, I wonder if that has anything to do with his "information."

What are the main differences between the AR-15's and M-14's? Why would I choose one over the other?
That explains it! The rift between AK owners and AR owners will continue until the end of time, but even honest AK owners readily admit that an AK can't even print 2" groups at 100 yds consistently. It is strictly a battle rifle, not a target rifle. The AR is both. The AR is accurate to well beyond 300 yds and is used in long range competitions at the Camp Perry National Matches (Service Rifle Competition). So is the M-14 which is a fine rifle if you can find a good used one for a decent price. A refinished M-14 will cost at least twice what a new AR-15 will cost. Same goes for the Garand. The differences between the M-14 and AR-15 are many, besides caliber (.308 vs. .223), although you can buy an AR in .308 which I mentioned above. Their is a historical significance to the M-14 and the fact that they are not manufactured anymore makes them collectible. As far as accuracy, I believe a rack grade M-14 will not be as accurate as an AR-15 or AR-10 unless some work is done to it. A fully accuraized M-14 will run twice teh price of an AR-15. If you do get an AR-15, be sure to go to the range with your friend and his AK-47....and tell him to bring some cash to back up his BS.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-21-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #7

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I know we all wish our M1-A's were M14's, but that won't happen. If you decide to go with the M14 style, it would be the M1-A, which is semi-auto only. The M14 was and is a select fire (semi-auto and full auto) rifle. If you have an unlimited bank account, do the proper ATF paper work, be approved and pay the $200 transfer, and your State Laws allowed it, you might be able to wind up with an M14. Check out the M1-A's by Springfield, they have several models. Although the are probably beyond what you are looking to pay.

Jim...........................

Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:

Most of the M14 platforms are chambered in 7.62x51, and will work just fine with .308 Win using bullets up to 175gr (and no light magnum rounds). There have been M14's in other calibers (.243Win being most common), but expect any that you find to be 7.62x51.

The M1A is the Trade Name of an M14 type rifle manufactured by Springfield Armory. They were not allowed to call it an M14 when they started building them in the early 1970's. Other makers of M14's have not had the same restrictions placed on them. LRB Arms, Armscorp, Norinco, Federal Ordnance, Poly Tech, A.R. Sales, Enterprise, Smith Enterprise, etc.

Only a Springfield can be an M1A, but an M1A IS an M14 type rifle.

Your original post said you wanted a caliber larger than .223, wanted to hunt deer sized game at 300-400 yards, and wanted something suitable for defense. Aside from the 30rd mags (which make anything in 7.62x51 pretty heavy anyway) an M14 will give you what you want, plus the flexibility to upgrade and accessorize as funds allow.

The AR and M14 operating systems are not similar. Both are great. The M14 has a more traditional look than an AR. The AR traditionally has used a "direct impingement" gas system that blows hot gas directly into the receiver to operate the action (though there are many excellent piston driven AR's available now), whereas the M14 uses a gas fired piston to cycle the action. In your price range you won't find a piston operated AR, especially in a caliber larger than .223 or 5.56x45.

There are other good rifles to be had in the $850 price range, if you shop around and jump on the deal when you find it.

Finding any M14 in the $800 range is a very rare thing, but as I showed you it can be done.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #9

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The Springfield M1A, being in 7.62X51 (.308 Win.), does lend itself well for hunting. I've used mine to hunt with a 5 round magazine, which can be ordered from Springfield Armory or CMI. CMI also makes 20 and 25 round magazines for this rifle. Also you can shoot heavier grain ammo than 175 gr. if you turn the gas off and cycle the rounds through it manually. When I have hunt with mine I usually use 185 gr. to 190 gr. ammo with the gas turned off and cycle the action manually. Dont shoot over 175 gr. ammo through this rifle when the gas is on and the action is working semi auto though as it could damage the gas system that operates the action of this rifle.

IMO the .308 Win. is a better round for all around game hunting than the .223and 7.62X39 ammo.

I use a Leoupld VXIII 4-14X40mm scope with a McCann Industries scope mount. The Smith Enterprises is a good scope mount for this rifle also. The Leoupold VXIII scope is past your $150.00 scope budget but you could find a different brand scope for less. Personally, I tend to "break the bank" when it comes to scopes. I believe that I paid around $550.00 for the VXIII I use on my M1A. Also, I paid just under $180.00 for the McCann Industries scope mount.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

RL357Mag - I didn't realize there was a AK vs AR rift (kind of like Colt vs "plastic"). Good to know that, I'll take his "facts" with a grain of salt from now on...

I think the AR in .308 is more in my price range. What's are some good manufacturers out there for AR's other than DPMS? Or should I just stick with DPMS? I've heard of people building their own AR's, is it that cost efficient and reliable? Also, With the .308 caliber, am I going to have any problems with accuracy in the 300-400 yard range if I get a barrel shorter than 20 inches?

As far as scopes go, I may get a cheap one and deal with it for a year or two, and then sink some money into a nice one later on. I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but is there a way to have both iron sights and a scope on at the same time? Because that would be awesome...

Last edited by feedsasquatch; 06-21-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: missed a paragraph...