Rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm a big fan of the AR as it is great for most if not all roles I can imagine. It's rugged, reliable, accurate, and highly manueverable. IMO a 9" barreled AR in .300 BLK would make a great firearm for a vehicle. An SBR'd Draco or Krink w/ folding stock and properly mounted RDS would be good as well. I believe a quality RDS is a perfect choice for an optic ready and willing to take the abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #12

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just do what i did and get this..

forumrunner_20120302_204536.jpg

If your looking for a competition rifle this is not gonna be it. But if your looking for something that will work everytime you pull the trigger, this will do just fine. Ammo is cheap and shooting corosive ammo is easily cleaned from the rifle. Soapy water a few passes with a brush and some oil and your done.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #13

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts

Magazines are cheap. I can get everything from used to brand new mags for $15-25 depending on where i buy them. Most of the mags i buy are brand new and run me about $18 with tax.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #14

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=Quentin;725679]Also the information on ARs needing a lot of cleaning and maintenance is wrong. AR or mini, choose the one you like, you'll be ok. My choice is the AR but go with what you want. Again, you'll be ok.
Wrong? Well I guess the M-16 I was issued in the Army was a lemon because if I did not keep it very clean and well lubricated it jammed all the time. Maybe the AR-15s that are used today by civilians are a totally new design than what I had in 1994.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Your armorer probably had something to do with it as did you MOS and duty station.

I shot my first M16 in 2002 so I can't speak on anything prior to that but I have never had a bad experience with an M16/M4/AR15.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #16

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Don't listen to all the BS. If you like the Mini-14, go ahead and get it. It will serve you well as a truck gun. It goes bang everytime you need it and requires little maint.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith
Don't listen to all the BS. If you like the Mini-14, go ahead and get it. It will serve you well as a truck gun. It goes bang everytime you need it and requires little maint.

Jim.........
What BS are you talking about so the OP is more equipped to make the best decision?

Quote:

Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #18

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I got my SKS with a nice folding stock.

Dependable, cheap, accurate, punchy.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

While any of the above mentioned platforms will work, I think the primary considerations for a 'truck gun' is ease of storage and access, appropriate power for the task intended, and reliability in less then ideal maintainence situations.

I would elect the mini-14 in a synthetic stock for this given the currently discussed rifles.

Some basic reasons for my choice:

- The Syn stock is not going to get all mucked up and chipped easily - but wood is also available for any purists out there.
- It is streamlined and compact, ie: you dont have a 30rd magazine, scope, 2 flashlights, laser pointer, gps, Flash Gordon decoder ring, and a cigarette lighter mounted on the rails that will snag up on things and make it hard to get out from behind the seat or off the gun rack
- It is reliable as hell, and shoots even if poorly maintained.
- It wont garner undo attention by anyone who sees it in your truck lying next to your "Live Free or Die" bandana
- It has acceptable firepower yet is easy to handle and keep on target by those lacking Popeye's forearms.

All fun aside, I think it is a great choice for an all around truck gun if you are looking for a SA platform.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AK rifle in any caliber makes a good truck gun. Get one with a folding stock and they fold up real small about the size of a briefcase rifle. If you mount a simple 4X or 6X scope on it, it should do you right. And those guns need occasional cleaning and are not as finicky as an AR when it comes to getting dirty.