Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Remington model 740 question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/remington-model-740-question-59876/)

bigbomar4 03-10-2012 01:50 AM

Remington model 740 question

I have an old model 740 that was given to me by my uncle. When I got it and cleaned it for the first time I noticed a lot of wear where the bolt rides and on the locking lugs. Ive taken it to the range a few times and it miss feeds all the time so I took it to a gun smith. Once he saw my gun before I even told him the problem he told me what he expected to see and it was completly right. After I showed him he said dont ever shoot it again its about to come apart and hurt some one. This gun never got the recall done on it. Will remington give me any help on this? I would hate for this rifle to just be a wall hanger.

bigbomar4 03-12-2012 01:03 AM

um, hello? anybody?

TLuker 03-12-2012 09:33 PM

Call Remington customer service and see. I doubt they will do anything but you never now and it'll only cost you a phone call.

Marlinman 03-12-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLuker
Call Remington customer service and see. I doubt they will do anything but you never now and it'll only cost you a phone call.

Thats what id have to say. Itll be very expensive to have a smith fix.....if you can find one that will fix it at all

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

robocop10mm 03-13-2012 09:26 AM

Those were not known for their longevity. Shooting a box of ammo a year, the gun should last nearly a lifetime. Not a good plinker as they do not hold up to hard use.

I agree, contact Remington. See if there is anything they are willing to do for you. May have to send it in to get an appraisal of fixability

7mmstw 03-15-2012 01:32 PM

Nu Line guns fixes them.

MOshooter 03-16-2012 05:33 AM

I had a Rem 742 I purchased new in the mid 70s which is the same bolt design as the 740,the bolt locking lugs on my became disfigured to the point it would not even forcefully lock the bolt. The gun lasted until the early 90s at that point it was inoperable without a new bolt and the parts in the receiver where the bolt locking lugs locked into the receiver which was going to cost 180.00 to fix the rifle.

Marlinman 03-16-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOshooter
I had a Rem 742 I purchased new in the mid 70s which is the same bolt design as the 740,the bolt locking lugs on my became disfigured to the point it would not even forcefully lock the bolt. The gun lasted until the early 90s at that point it was inoperable without a new bolt and the parts in the receiver where the bolt locking lugs locked into the receiver which was going to cost 180.00 to fix the rifle.

You got your money put of it and then some......nothin wrong w that

MOshooter 03-17-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 742102)
You got your money put of it and then some......nothin wrong w that

That's for sure Marlinman
I bought that rifle new 199.99 at Walmart and traded it in to the same shop that quoted the 180.00 to fix the rifle,they gave me 200.00 trade on a new rifle :)

Marlinman 03-17-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOshooter

That's for sure Marlinman
I bought that rifle new 199.99 at Walmart and traded it in to the same shop that quoted the 180.00 to fix the rifle,they gave me 200.00 trade on a new rifle :)

You know why they did that dont you? The parts out of it for the most part can be used in any semi auto center fire remington, browning, or winchester