Reloading M4 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Reloading M4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Actually AR stands for ArmaLite. They had AR models which were shotguns and pistols. The AR-17 is a shotgun the AR-24 is a pistol.
There is also an AR 7. It is a rifle that shoots .22LR rounds. It was primarily designed for paratroopers, or so I'm told, as the barrel assembly can be removed and slid into the buttstock assembly, making the rifle easy to fit into the buttstock, which in turn fits into a small backpack. Handy, but my father in law said they were picky eaters as far as ammo went. Some brands would not cycle properly. I know very little else about it, other than what I am told by word of mouth. Anyone who has more knowledge on it is welcome to chime in.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Well then, I stand corrected.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #13

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
There is also an AR 7. It is a rifle that shoots .22LR rounds. It was primarily designed for paratroopers, or so I'm told, as the barrel assembly can be removed and slid into the buttstock assembly, making the rifle easy to fit into the buttstock, which in turn fits into a small backpack. Handy, but my father in law said they were picky eaters as far as ammo went. Some brands would not cycle properly. I know very little else about it, other than what I am told by word of mouth. Anyone who has more knowledge on it is welcome to chime in.
I have a Charter Arms AR-7, purchased around 30 years ago. ArmaLite sold the rights to CA in the '70s I think. It's a decent cheap .22lr considering its purpose. As you say it is picky with some brands but lots of 22s are that way. I'd say a good target 22 pistol makes more sense in a survival gun situation but it is fun.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #14

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I have a Charter Arms AR-7, purchased around 30 years ago. ArmaLite sold the rights to CA in the '70s I think. It's a decent cheap .22lr considering its purpose. As you say it is picky with some brands but lots of 22s are that way. I'd say a good target 22 pistol makes more sense in a survival gun situation but it is fun.
Henry Arms is the only mfr. I can think of still making them. I see them at gunshows every now and again for about 150-200 bucks. A little research at a couple of sites says it was another one of Gene Stoner's creations.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The new ruger 10/22 takedown is prob supposed to be along the same idea as the original a7 .. doesnt fit in the buttstock but does breakdown and stow in a pack ok.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #16

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
The new ruger 10/22 takedown is prob supposed to be along the same idea as the original a7 .. doesnt fit in the buttstock but does breakdown and stow in a pack ok.
The Marlin Papoose has a barrel nut like the AR-7, you unscrew it on either rifle to remove the barrel and pack away the rifle.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

thachanh123 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Ohh thats cool , I didn't know marlin made one too. I was considering the Henry until I heard how ammo picky and unreliable they are.