Recommendations requested.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Recommendations requested.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommendations requested.

Double post, sorry...

Last edited by Kain; 02-04-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #2

Default Recommendations requested

Ok, so I've got the itch for a rifle.

I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to rifles, but I feel that something chambered in .308 will suit my needs nicely (all purpose shooter suitable for both hunting and defense when needed) I'd like a Bolt action with a relatively large capacity, preferably external magazine rather than internal. I doubt I'll need any thing with an effective range much past 100 yards. Also, not a huge fan of the "sport rifle" platform. So, no ARs or AKs

I've been looking at the Ruger Scout rifle for some time now and I like it a lot. The only thing I don't particularly like is the fact it is not currently available with a wood stock. It's also back ordered. I've also been looking at the "new" M1A from Springfield. It's available, but nearly twice the price of the Ruger and a Semi auto vs the bolt action of the Scout.

I guess my real question is: Should I wait for the Scout or pay the extra and get the Springfield now? Or maybe something else would be better.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Both are great choices, but it sounds like the scout is what you really want, so why get something else? Just our in your order and wait is that's what you really want.

It's something I've learned in my short time on this earth, don't compromise yourself.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It looks like the Ruger is ~$750 without the long eye relief scope. That's some serious change. I've been looking at the Howa/Hogue Ranchland compact rifle, to have one that's easier to carry than my heavy barreled Axiom. Howa now has kits to swap out the box mag to a detachable magazine. The mags are kind of pricey, but I wouldn't need but one extra for my purposes, not like an AR where a bag full is the norm.

The Ranchland with the Hogue stock is around $500, base, rings, and scope add to that. The mag conversion is $150 with an extra mag. Something I'm wanting to put together.

It sounds like you prefer a wood stock, there is a walnut stock option as well.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

JMHO, but if it is a mag-fed semi-auto - get it now.

The closer we get to Obama's almost-shoo-in reelection, the greater the risk such guns will A) skyrocket in price again, B) liklely be banned as he will then have no political risk in an ExOrder.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #6

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
JMHO, but if it is a mag-fed semi-auto - get it now.

The closer we get to Obama's almost-shoo-in reelection, the greater the risk such guns will A) skyrocket in price again, B) liklely be banned as he will then have no political risk in an ExOrder.
The gun in question is a bolt action. If the current administration has another 4 years all bets are off for the future of firearms ownership. Just when Canada is getting it's act together we may head the other way.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2409 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 694

I looked at a Ruger Scout yesterday at a local gun shop. It had a laminated wood stock in a grey/black finish. Very nice handling little rifle. It came with rings for an over the action scope as well as the front rail. The Ruger rings do not fit the front rail. The iron sights looked pretty good. I believe it had a 10 round mag. Price was exorbitant.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1509 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3280

There are a lot of different rifles that would be great for what're looking for. There are also many calibers that might be better if you don't plan on shooting over 100yrds? A nice lever action in .357, .44 mag, and 30-30 would be a great general purpose hunting and defense rifle. The mini 14 and mini 30 are based on the same action as the M1A, cost less, and come in calibers that are much more affordable to shoot. A .357 or .44 Ruger M77 would probably make a good gun for your needs as well, but I'm not sure about magazine options other than it comes with a detachable rotary magazine.

I'm not against a .308 by any means. It's one of my favorite rounds. I'm just not sure its the best caliber for what you're looking for? It just seems like over kill for the range your wanting to shoot. If you plan on shooting further on occasion or just want the capability to do so then that's cool, but then I'm not sure how effective the Ruger scout would be because of the limited scope options due to the forward rail? It would likely do 200 yards with no problem but so will a 30-30, .223, and 7.62 x 39.

The scout is still a neat gun and if that's what you really want then go for it. You can always trade latter if you decide to try something else. Or even better, just keep it and add to the collection. The same goes for the M1A.

Just my ,02

Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Ok, so I've got the itch for a rifle.

I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to rifles, but I feel that something chambered in .308 will suit my needs nicely (all purpose shooter suitable for both hunting and defense when needed) I'd like a Bolt action with a relatively large capacity, preferably external magazine rather than internal. I doubt I'll need any thing with an effective range much past 100 yards. Also, not a huge fan of the "sport rifle" platform. So, no ARs or AKs

I've been looking at the Ruger Scout rifle for some time now and I like it a lot. The only thing I don't particularly like is the fact it is not currently available with a wood stock. It's also back ordered. I've also been looking at the "new" M1A from Springfield. It's available, but nearly twice the price of the Ruger and a Semi auto vs the bolt action of the Scout.

I guess my real question is: Should I wait for the Scout or pay the extra and get the Springfield now? Or maybe something else would be better.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
That spells .308 AR w/ a red dot to the T. Anything else would be a compromise.

I had the funniest little movie playing in my head of a guy "defending" himself at 100yrds and in w/ a bolt gun.

However, of the 2 you mentioned I'd say 16" M1A w/ a RDS or 1-4x.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."