recommend a .308/7.62 caliber - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > recommend a .308/7.62 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The mil dot looks like it would be hard to use - is it?

Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoshoot View Post
Assuming you didn't go to Sniper School?

At first, yes, it's going to take some getting used too, and the range finding aspects of it are going to turn your brain on it's side for a bit, but with some practice it becomes much more natural.

It took me a bunch of "dry fire" ranging practice and about 100 or so rounds at the range to become comfortable with it enough to rely on it.

That said, in this day and age, the Mil-Dot isn't really needed anymore. You can get a "golfers" range finding laser for under $200 that will put you within a yard +/- out to about 400 or 500 yards. With a correct dope card, you can dial in and be on target very easily.

There are purists who will tell you that electronics can fail and that the golfers models aren't the best and on down the line. They are right. I have a Leica that is +/- 1 yard out to 1200 yards. The thing is covered in rubberized "armor" and is pretty much water "proof" and drop "proof". It's part of my range kit and it's in the same case as my .308. I and never with one and not the other. I also have a Mil dot on there, just in case.

Do you need to spend the extra money and get an illuminated Mil-Dot scope with a NV attachment and $2000 glass? Probably not unless you are going to be making a living taking that one important shot for the military or a high profile protection "force" like the Secret Service.

I like the Mil Dot concept and encourage everyone to learn it, because it really is a very good system. But it's just not as necessary in this day and age...

Just my humble opinion - your mileage may vary...

JD

Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoshoot View Post
I've used quite a bit and had no problem picking it up. I've worked with people who couldn't make heads or tails of it though.

If you're looking for a ranging reticle, and have the cash, you might want to check out a Pride-Fowler: http://www.smithenterprise.com/products18.html

They're set up to be a much quicker and intuitive system than Mildot.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-20-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #24

That is a really nice scope. Thanks

Old 01-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Robinson XCR in 7.62 X 39. Uses a piston system which is much more reliable than the gas impingement and it shoots the bigger cartridge over the .223/5.56 cartridge. And what's nice is that you can change barrels and uppers with a Robinson in no time at all without having to change lower assemblies.

Then you could also get like a Rock River Arms, Bushmaster Arms, Superior Arms M-4 clone and then buy an upper assembly from Model "1" that shoots a bigger bore cartridge too. That way you have a complete rifle in .223/5.56 and a second upper half that shoots a different caliber cartridge with the same lower half. You could have one lower and a number of upper halves that shoot different calibers of all kinds. That's one thing that is so nice about the modular rifle system. It's just so darned flexible!!