Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > recommend a .308/7.62 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default recommend a .308/7.62 caliber

I'm looking to get one. What kind do you have? Which scope did you mount onto it? Thanks for you input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 197

That is a pretty big and broad request there, mister. Are you interested in a bolt action, Semi- auto, Military design, hunting, precision, scout, etc.

If you are looking to put some glass on it, I presume you want a MOA rifle?

You may or may not be able to get that kind of accuracy out of a Mil design w/o spending $2K.

I guess more info is needed before I get into a long winded post.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #3

I"m looking for a semi auto (like an AR style). I want more throw down power. I also want to be able to use it for long range so I can shoot at 300+ yards

Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

http://www.smithenterprise.com/index.html

An M14 is a much better platform to do what you're looking to do.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-07-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
http://www.smithenterprise.com/index.html

An M14 is a much better platform to do what you're looking to do.
or maybe the g3/cetme or clones, like a ptr-91. That thing is nice and can fulfill multiple duties!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #6

How about the springfield MIA? Anyone have one of them?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoshoot View Post
How about the springfield MIA? Anyone have one of them?
They're an M14 too. You'll save a little cash by getting Springfield over the Smith, but you get what you pay for. Avoid the Springfield SOCOMs though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 197

I always wanted an AR-10 but fell into an HK-91 instead.

HK- solid platform. Hammer forged barrels. Reliable, no gas system to foul. Can be rough on .308 brass. Intended for NATO ammo even though marked .308. Not the easiest (or cheapest) to scope. Mags cheap >$5 each

CETME- HK's daddy. More affordable. Even more rough on .308 brass than HK. Most use HK mags.

M-14/M-1A- solid, accurate, wide variety of options from SOCOM to NM. Easier to scope than HK/CETME. Better trigger. Good mags are expensive.

FN- Know what you are getting (Inch or Metric). Mags not interchageable and not as cheap as HK. Adjustable gas system has a learning curve. Reportedly not as accurate as HK or M-14 but that is arguable.

AR-10- Varying reports of reliability. Many are VERY accurate. Many AR-15 parts will interchange. Depending on the maker they use different mags modified from different platforms. Mags not cheap and may be difficult to find.

Even though I have an HK and a CETME, if I had to start over I would get a service grade M-1A or maybe a national match.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:08 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If you want a semi, check out any of the reputable M14/M1A platforms. LRB Arms and Springfield Armory are the 2 best known. Smith Enterprise is using LRB receivers for their amazing rifles.

If scoping it is a requirement, get yourself an LRB M25. It is the only hammer forged M14 receiver you can still get, is made in the USA to USGI spec, and has an integral scope mount on top of the receiver. The shortcoming of the M14 platform has always been the way scope mounts attach. While there are several excellent mounts available (Smith Enterprise, Sadlak, old Brookfield, GDI, and the current Leatherwood, to name a few), none compare to the LRB M25. My LRB M25 will put 5 rounds of Black Hills Match 168gr into a 5/8" group at 100 yards, off the bench. Quickly.

While a Springfield Armory M1A is an excellent rifle, the receiver is cast (not forged), the parts are mostly commercial now (not USGI), and the scope mounts mentioned above can be problematic. I have some Springfield Armory M1A rifles and love them (one will even print better groups than my M25). SAI also have a lifetime warranty, and SAI is awesome to deal with. But they don't compare to my LRB's. LRB has a one year warranty, but they are great guys.

And while some Socoms were problematic early on, I have one that is flawless, and have used several others that are the same.

The M14 is virtually 100% reliable, ergonomic, accurate, great trigger, and current USGI mags (CMI 20rd and 25rd) can be had from 44Mag.com for about $23. That is a great price and Mark at 44Mag is awesome to deal with.

The M14 is a proven performer. Lou and Paul at LRB will make you a world class rifle.

FWIW, I have no affiliation with any of the companies that I have mentioned in this post.

While my name may give away my bias, it is because I have used the M14 for many, many, many years and find it vastly superior to every other 7.62x51 rifle that I have used. And the only one I have not used extensively is the Sig AMT. I have owned many of each of the following (but still prefer the M14), Valmet 78, Valmet 76, HK 91, Belgian FAL, Argentine FAL, SAR 48 (Brazilian FAL). My experience with the AR platforms in 7.62x51 is limited, but the pressure curve seems to be problematic for them so I will wait until they get the reliability perfected.

Sorry to run on. I hope my input helps you in your choice.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
My experience with the AR platforms in 7.62x51 is limited, but the pressure curve seems to be problematic for them so I will wait until they get the reliability perfected.
I have no problem with anything in your post except the part highlighted above.

As with any weapon system, there are those that work and those that do not. We have produced quite a few AR-10 platforms for the .308, and some wildcat cartridges, that run like a champ and shoot sub moa easily in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing.

I would never say that off the shelf will always compare with what can be had at the hands of a gunsmith, but the AR-10 is a very good platform that can deliver everything the TS wants and it's parts will be available, at least for the time being barring any legislation, from multiple sources that don't require knowing someone or paying through the nose...

JD