Reccomend a .223
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Reccomend a .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reccomend a .223

I've been going to the range an awful lot with a buddy of mine who's showin me the ropes.

I really like the .223 cal.

What would be a good starting point of a semi auto .223 for target shooting 100-200 yards? The AR15 is really...sexy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The AR is a very good platform to start with, plus parts are very common and every police, military and sporting goods store has ammo stockpiled in the event of the crappola hitting the spinning blades....

There are several good threads in the AR section and recently we have had a couple of members build their own from scratch. One person built one for under $700 and got great results in his first trip to the range...

JD

Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The AR is a very good platform to start with, plus parts are very common and every police, military and sporting goods store has ammo stockpiled in the event of the crappola hitting the spinning blades....

There are several good threads in the AR section and recently we have had a couple of members build their own from scratch. One person built one for under $700 and got great results in his first trip to the range...

JD
Not to veer too much off topic... If i piece together an AR do I have my local shop run my liscence and fill out the paper work before it's built or once it's fully assembled?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

cant go wrong with a good AR like JD said, and the rifle cost is quite reasonable (for now). Depends on what your budget is and what other uses you may have for it (hunting). Just remember, firearms are like potato chips, cant have just one!
Good luck with your choice, let us know what you end up with.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
Not to veer too much off topic... If i piece together an AR do I have my local shop run my liscence and fill out the paper work before it's built or once it's fully assembled?
The only paperwork that is needed from a legal standpoint is the lower receiver. You can buy a stripped lower, or a full built one, but one way or the other, you will need to purchase the lower through a licensed Firearm's dealer.

Once you have a lower receiver, you can build the unit into any number of different configurations. You can even build a CQB style upper and a longer range tack driving upper that can be switched on and off of the same lower.

The real key if you are going to go the AR route is to get your lower receiver on the books before any change of President leads to any new Nazi-esque gun laws...

JD

Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The only paperwork that is needed from a legal standpoint is the lower receiver. You can buy a stripped lower, or a full built one, but one way or the other, you will need to purchase the lower through a licensed Firearm's dealer.

Once you have a lower receiver, you can build the unit into any number of different configurations. You can even build a CQB style upper and a longer range tack driving upper that can be switched on and off of the same lower.

The real key if you are going to go the AR route is to get your lower receiver on the books before any change of President leads to any new Nazi-esque gun laws...

JD
Fair enough; with that said..I'm going to most likely build my own, I always enjoy putting projects together and to physically see how one of these works I think will be rewarding. It may take a while, but in the end it's gonna be worth it.

Could you recommend a lower receiver?

Also, depending on the lower receiver I eventually pick out, will that ultimately effect how the rest of the rifle will be built (kinda like if you pick a certain type of transmission on a car will determine the engine...so forth)?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #7

Well, the lower receiver is the same, regardless of who's name is on the outside. A lot of the "top names" all get their receivers from one or two manufacturers anyways.

If you buy a basic stripped lower, all that means is you have a basic stripped lower. If you buy the most expensive lower receiver, you have the most expensive lower receiver, and it's only about 10%, if that, better than the basic stripped lower.

The lower is merely one piece, and it really isn't THAT intricate to the overall performance of the weapon. It is going to hold a bunch of other parts in place, so you need one that is well made, perferably milled from a solid block of aluminum instead of one that is made of pot metal.

Pretty much any of the "named" receivers that everyone is talking about would be fine for an at home build...

JD

Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #8

Here's a couple of threads to read through. Might help you get some build ideas...

Junho's AR Build

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6910
JD

Old 10-01-2008, 12:57 AM   #9

Try nodakspud.com for lower and upper recievers. Pick up a "Shotgun News" there a several good parts companies ads in every issue.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #10

Guys - Meet the newest member of the Black Rifle Club. Our good member Vertiviper is undertaking his first build of an AR platform and will be ordering his first parts in the coming weeks.

How about a little encouragement for the Right of 2A and the American Spirit of Building It Yourself???

JD