Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Question, anyone fire both an M4/M16 and an AK-47?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
LOL..Damn Cane, that is exactly why I have a Harley Ultra Classic and a Honda Goldwing!

Jack
Thanks Jack!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
First you can only be asking this question and looking for a subjective response.

My experience is only from the shooters position because I’ve never been shot at. (with either AR nor AK.)

And with an engineering background, my response will truly be subjective because none of my experience was conducted with instrumentation.

With the lack of empirical data I prefer to respond to your question with an analogy.

Shooting the AR and the AK is like riding a rice rocket and a Harley.
  • The AR is smooth, fast with no apology, efficient and sans the report, not very distracting to the shooter.
  • The AK however is more Harley-like. A ton of mechanical sound, vibration (harmonics differ from the AR) and a sense that the next round may not fire from all this distraction.

Both reports are distinctive but not due to volume. I can definitely tell the difference but cannot tell you why. Similar to how I can tell if a chopper is under load or just cruising. (or, is that military vs civilian? SOSO)

Personally, I’d rather be seen on the Harley, but I would want the rice-burner in a pinch!
So in your opinion since this is subjective, are both weapons equally loud but still different?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #23

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltar View Post
So in your opinion since this is subjective, are both weapons equally loud but still different?
The short answer would be Yes.

The visceral/perceived (to me) "loudness" would go the the AK.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #24

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

AR reports ultimately depend on the flash suppressor/muzzle brake at the end of that barrel. Mine is louder than most of the other ive shot, as it directs away to the sides.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Not to turn this into an AK vs M16 thread, but I got to disagree with you. Over the last ten years or so the number of professional militaries using the AK has gone from over 80 to seven, while the number of professional militaries using the M16/M4 has gone from twenty or so to almost a hundred.

As to the OP's question. IIRC the AK's report is two or three Db higher depending on the loading. Hardly noticable. Just different.
I said nothing about the AR Vs. AK with the exception of the difference in sound when fired. No one who studies Military history can deny the AK of it's heritage. I own an AR as well. I don't compare the two, they're both tools for different jobs. And I guess "Professional Militaries" don't use K98K rifles, 1903 Springfields, M1 Garands, BAR's and many many other famous and great war rifles for the same reasons too?

Last edited by afi1; 02-09-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltar View Post
Are you in the military? Is that you in your picture?
Yes, I am a Combat Engineer and I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The short answer would be Yes.

The visceral/perceived (to me) "loudness" would go the the AK.
I agree. The AK "Feels" louder when you shoot it. As far as being shot at, it's pretty hard to tell what round just flew past you at 600 meters plus. At that distance you're hearing the bullet breaking the sound barrier before you hear the shot, if you hear the shot at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #28

It might help to know why the OP wants to know this? What are you looking for? Something that you can shoot on your property without being so loud? Or what?
I own an AK47 and have shot M4's of all diffrent types.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
It might help to know why the OP wants to know this? What are you looking for? Something that you can shoot on your property without being so loud? Or what?
I own an AK47 and have shot M4's of all different types.
Just out of curiosity. I live in the city so I can't shoot even a .22 without getting the cops called and getting arrested for shooting in city limits.

Which do you think it louder, your AK or the M4s that you shot?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
I agree. The AK "Feels" louder when you shoot it. As far as being shot at, it's pretty hard to tell what round just flew past you at 600 meters plus. At that distance you're hearing the bullet breaking the sound barrier before you hear the shot, if you hear the shot at all.
From what I heard the AK feels louder but the AR sounds louder. Because with the AK you feel it in your chest but the AR you feel it in your head and ears. Is that true? AK feels louder but the AR still sounds louder?

Closed Thread