Question, anyone fire both an M4/M16 and an AK-47? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Question, anyone fire both an M4/M16 and an AK-47?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Hey why don't you stop by the Introductions section of the forum and tell us a little about yourself. Fair trade to answer your questions?

Jack
Alright I'm doing that right now.

Edit: Just did.

Last edited by Baltar; 02-08-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey why don't you stop by the Introductions section of the forum and tell us a little about yourself. Fair trade to answer your questions?

Jack
Have you fired an AR or AK?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Fair enough! And yes I have fired both. If you are standing next to both when fired they both have different distinct sounds, but how you interpret the sound depends on you. The AK will have a slightly deeper crack then the AR, mainly due to different chamber pressures and the differences of muzzle devices installed.

If you are downrange from them, they will both sound just about alike. Now, if you take it to mean being shot at, I know the difference in sound.

There is a very simple way to know how loud a round is at 200 and 800 meters away from the shooter. No matter the caliber you will hear the sonic crack of the projectile as it passes. The louder the crack and the fuzzier your ears get, the closer the round was to you. The sonic crack will be just as loud at 200 meters as it will be from 800 meters if the shot is three feet from your ears. If the shot is twenty feet away, the sonic crack will be less loud. Doesn't matter if it is 200 or 800 meters.

This is just my experienced opinion. Others may have their own and it may differ from where they are standing and how well their hearing is or if the have hearing protection in or not. There are a lot of variables at play here.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 02-08-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Fair enough! And yes I have fired both. If you are standing next to both when fired they both have different distinct sounds, but how you interpret the sound depends on you. The AK will have a slightly deeper crack then the AR, mainly due to different chamber pressures and the differences of muzzle devices installed.

If you are downrange from them, they will both sound just about alike. Now, if you take it to mean being shot at, I know the difference in sound.

There is a very simple way to know how loud a round is at 200 and 800 meters away from the shooter. No matter the caliber you will hear the sonic crack of the projectile as it passes. The louder the crack and the fuzzier your ears get, the closer the round was to you. The sonic crack will be just as loud at 200 meters as it will be from 800 meters if the shot is three feet from your ears. If the shot is twenty feet away, the sonic crack will be less loud. Doesn't matter if it is 200 or 800 meters.

This is just my experienced opinion. Others may have their own and it may differ from where they are standing and how well their hearing is or if the have hearing protection in or not. There are a lot of variables at play here.

Jack
So I take it that although they are very distinctive they are both equally loud in dBs?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltar View Post
So I take it that although they are very distinctive they are both equally loud in dBs?
Indeed. Anywhere around 160-170 db range.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Indeed. Anywhere around 160-170 db range.

Jack
Thanks I'm going to try to dig up any facts I'll see what I can find.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2717 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 224

The larger bore diameter of the AK lends it's self to a deeper pitch of the report. The phrase that the AK has a distinct sound when fired at you partially comes from the cyclic rate which is slower than the M-16.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First you can only be asking this question and looking for a subjective response.

My experience is only from the shooters position because I’ve never been shot at. (with either AR nor AK.)

And with an engineering background, my response will truly be subjective because none of my experience was conducted with instrumentation.

With the lack of empirical data I prefer to respond to your question with an analogy.

Shooting the AR and the AK is like riding a rice rocket and a Harley.

• The AR is smooth, fast with no apology, efficient and sans the report, not very distracting to the shooter.
  • The AK however is more Harley-like. A ton of mechanical sound, vibration (harmonics differ from the AR) and a sense that the next round may not fire from all this distraction.

Both reports are distinctive but not due to volume. I can definitely tell the difference but cannot tell you why. Similar to how I can tell if a chopper is under load or just cruising. (or, is that military vs civilian? SOSO)

Personally, I’d rather be seen on the Harley, but I would want the rice-burner in a pinch!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Personally, I’d rather be seen on the Harley, but I would want the rice-burner in a pinch!
LOL..Damn Cane, that is exactly why I have a Harley Ultra Classic and a Honda Goldwing!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #20

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltar View Post
Thanks I'm going to try to dig up any facts I'll see what I can find.
Do you have any idea what size the data matrix would be for the combination of barrel lengths, flash hiders, ammo selection, instrumentation positioning, atmospheric conditions…………….you get the idea?

Not sure you're going to find any data that I would hang my hat on.

I think it would be like having 10 different people describe to you what it's like walking up and looking into the Grand Canyon.

It can't be anywhere near the experience of doing it your self.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Closed Thread