question about owniing assualt weapon in the USA.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > question about owniing assualt weapon in the USA.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default question about owniing assualt weapon in the USA.

How is it done? Do you need some kind of license? Do you have to join the police force or the military to have the privilege of owning a assault weapon?
Is there a limit on the amount you can have?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2009, 03:50 AM   #2

We are trying to create a different impression here at FirearmsTalk, so we now refer to these guns as Sport Utility Rifles (SURs).

There was a ban against US citizens owning SURs. This was at a time before I was interested in SURs, so I'm not sure of the details of how this law was written. This law was enacted at some point during Clinton's reign, and it expired under President Bush. Since the expiration, people in most states are free to purchase and own SURs so long as they are only capable of semi-automatic fire. The normal restrictions on the purchase and ownership of weapons applies, so nobody convicted of a crime, nobody who's mentally unstable, etc, etc.. I'm believe there are still minimum barrel length requirements, and a few other requirements, but I'm not sure about all the specifics for states outside of Kalifornia. Someone who lives in one of those states might chime in with the details.

I happen to live in Kalifornia. Our state government has had the wisdom to impose additional restrictions on the ownership of SUR's. [Not sure if this comes across right to non-native English speakers, so just to be sure, the previous statement is an example of sarcasm. In other words, wisdom is the last thing you would ever expect from a Kalifornia politician.] Here in Kalifornia, there are certain features that have been determined to be evil, and it is not permitted to own a gun with these evil features. If you follow the link I've posted below it will take you to a nice interactive flowchart. Answer the questions in the flowchart and it will tell you whether or not the weapon in question is legal (Props to CalGuns for the flowchart, a great forum for those of us stuck here in Kali BTW).

CalGuns Foundation AW Flowchart

Basically, what we do here in CA is use SURs with magazines with the capacity for no more than 10 rounds, and modify the weapon so that it requires a tool to detach the magazine (this makes it a non-detachable magazine according to the law). There are a few other things to be aware of (barrel length, overall length, certain specific weapon models on lists maintained by the government, etc.), but that is the crux of the issue. The tool most often used is the tip of a bullet, hence you will hear the term "bullet button" used to describe the type of mag release we use. Interestingly enough, the law specifically identifies a bullet as a permissible tool for this purpose. We're either incredibly lucky, or somebody had a lot of foresight when that law was written.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
We are trying to create a different impression here at FirearmsTalk, so we now refer to these guns as Sport Utility Rifles (SURs).

There was a ban against US citizens owning SURs. This was at a time before I was interested in SURs, so I'm not sure of the details of how this law was written. This law was enacted at some point during Clinton's reign, and it expired under President Bush. Since the expiration, people in most states are free to purchase and own SURs so long as they are only capable of semi-automatic fire. The normal restrictions on the purchase and ownership of weapons applies, so nobody convicted of a crime, nobody who's mentally unstable, etc, etc.. I'm believe there are still minimum barrel length requirements, and a few other requirements, but I'm not sure about all the specifics for states outside of Kalifornia. Someone who lives in one of those states might chime in with the details.

I happen to live in Kalifornia. Our state government has had the wisdom to impose additional restrictions on the ownership of SUR's. [Not sure if this comes across right to non-native English speakers, so just to be sure, the previous statement is an example of sarcasm. In other words, wisdom is the last thing you would ever expect from a Kalifornia politician.] Here in Kalifornia, there are certain features that have been determined to be evil, and it is not permitted to own a gun with these evil features. If you follow the link I've posted below it will take you to a nice interactive flowchart. Answer the questions in the flowchart and it will tell you whether or not the weapon in question is legal (Props to CalGuns for the flowchart, a great forum for those of us stuck here in Kali BTW).

CalGuns Foundation AW Flowchart

Basically, what we do here in CA is use SURs with magazines with the capacity for no more than 10 rounds, and modify the weapon so that it requires a tool to detach the magazine (this makes it a non-detachable magazine according to the law). There are a few other things to be aware of (barrel length, overall length, certain specific weapon models on lists maintained by the government, etc.), but that is the crux of the issue. The tool most often used is the tip of a bullet, hence you will hear the term "bullet button" used to describe the type of mag release we use. Interestingly enough, the law specifically identifies a bullet as a permissible tool for this purpose. We're either incredibly lucky, or somebody had a lot of foresight when that law was written.
wow this thing confusing....

Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Most firearms owners don't really like to use the term "Assault Rifle" or "Assault Weapon". The reason is these are terms that are applied to firearms that look like machine guns. These terms are used mainly by the media here because they are incapable of understanding the differences between an M-16 and an AR-15. They may look the same but they are different, mostly internally.

In all actually any weapon that is used in an assault (of another human being) can be considered an "Assault Weapon". Ball bats, knives, broom handles, rocks, hand tools or a heavy skillet can all be assault weapons. Example: If you beat someone with your fist and are arrested, you commeted "assault". Therefore your fist can be considered an assault weapon. Of course you won't hear the media in America admit anything like this. It's common sence and the media has none.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I always understood the definition of an As--salt rifle as being a select-fire weapon firing an intermediate powered cartridge.
The liberal media grabbed onto the catch phrase and have promoted it to the point that even gun owners are referring to semi-automatic rifles as asult-rifles. Seems they're winning the propaganda battle.
You can buy a semi look-alike in most juristictions- but to own a true select-fire/full auto aslt-rifle, MG, or SMG you need to submit to extensive backround checks, get consent from local heads of law enforcement, pay fed excise tax and then...maybe be allowed to cough up the many thousands of dollars to actually buy one
I personally don't know anyone that has one
my .02---Ken

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Not me, I just got me a deer rifle.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gestapo Hunter View Post
How is it done?
$$ CA$H BUCKS

Quote:
Do you need some kind of license?
NO

Quote:
Do you have to join the police force or the military to have the privilege of owning a assault weapon?
NO

Quote:
Is there a limit on the amount you can have?
$$ CA$H BUCKS

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is an assault-style rifle, but is definitely not an actual assault rifle. Well, I guess there are a few full auto with all the brady bill bits and pieces available for sale to the general public, but 99% of firearms enthusiasts don't own those.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
$$ CA$H BUCKS

NO

NO

$$ CA$H BUCKS

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

****in' A!

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gestapo Hunter View Post
wow this thing confusing....
It is confusing because the Anti-Gunners have tried to convince the public that there is no difference between an M-16 and an AR-15. They have spent millions of dolllars and we are now trying to play catch up. Myths and falshoods must be reversed.

Sports Utility Rifles AKA. Anti-Assault Rifles (used to repel or deter an assault) are legal to own w/o restriction everywhere in America. Kalifornia is not a part of America any longer. It was granted independence as the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.