PTR91 or M1A? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > PTR91 or M1A?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I am currently shooting 2 Springfield Armory M1-A rifles. A SOCOM 16 and a Camp Perry NRA National Match. I like the PTR-91, and I realize that it is a well designed, good performing weapon. I just can't bring myself to spend into 4 digits on a gun made from welded sheet metal with a plastic trigger group.

When you pick up an M1-A you can feel the "solidness" of the weapon. It just feels right. The PTR-91 really isn't much lighter even though it looks like it should be. Being as both are semi autos you have to be careful with ammo choices, but the M1-A is a very accurate rifle, especially in a National Match configuration. In the end it is all personal choice. The PTR-91 is a bit cheaper price wise. The Springfield Armory M1-A has always been an expensive gun.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Billt

Nice looking. I just love my M1A. I've only had it for 6 months, but every time I touch it, I want to shoot it.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Being a bolt action doesn't make it inherently more accurate.
Buy quality the first time.
My choices are obvious.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #14

Likes Given: 1

In you quest for the answer have you considered an FAL. I have one I built from an argentine kit on an Imbel receiver. best 400 buck spent on a rifle.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 2442

Default Yes

Yes, I've seriously considered an FAL. I already have the FAL's daddy, an FN-49 in 7mm Mauser. That was my second rifle and I've had it for over 20 years. It has never had a single failure and it shoots as accurately as I am capable of shooting with iron sights, but I want sub M.O.A. groups. I just don't think I'm going to get that out of a FAL. I'm guessing that I'll be lucky to get it out of an M1A without sinking a lot into building one, but I know the possibility is there. I've also always been fascinated with the G3 because of the accuracy potential it has due to its action.

Bottom line is that I'm just like everyone else. I want extreme bolt action accuracy and reliability out of a semi automatic. I don't want to pay anymore than I have to for it, but I'm willing to pay a little extra to get close. I just can't figure out which gun is going to best do that.