PTR91 or M1A?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > PTR91 or M1A?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3240

Default PTR91 or M1A?

I'm finally ready to get a good semi auto .308, but I can't decide between the PTR91 and the M1A (Springfield). I'm guessing that the PTR91 will be more reliable and the M1A slightly more accurate, but again that is just a guess?

So I'm curious as what some of you think is the best and why.

Also, what sort of accuracy can I expect out of the PTR91. I would think that it would be close to a bolt action in accuracy because of its action, but I've never heard anything spectacular about its accuracy? Can it be dialed in?

What about mounting a scope. Are there any problems with either?

Any advice will be appreciate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

my opinion:

a good bolt gun will knock both the m1a and ptr91 out of the fight. if you want a semi auto gun that comes close to bolt gun accuracy your pretty much gonna have to go with a ar10 type rifle.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The PTR-91 is a good weapon, but it has its faults. To improve the accuracy, the manufacture tighten up the flutes in the chamber. The down side is you need to use only CLEAN ammo. No MilSurp allowed. They state that on their website. Now they do make different types of PTR-91's. But they do have some models that have the orginal HK flute's. They can shoot Milsurp.

I was going to buy a PTR-91 a couple of years back, but decided to get the M1A. This gun is happy with just about any kind of ammo. Its really accurate and is a pretty piece of furniture.

The choice is yours

Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JonM my go to gun has been and always will be a bolt action, but I think WWII pretty well proved that a bolt action is not going to knock a semi auto out of any fight. An unfortunately, I just can't make myself buy an AR anything. I'm not knocking them, but they just aren't for me.

ANM2 - Thanks for the comments. I don't mind shooting clean ammo, but I would definitely prefer a tough as nails gun that doesn't care. There's just something about knowing I could if I ever wanted to. I've always wanted an M14 and the M1A is the closest I'll ever get. At the same time I always thought the delayed action on the G3 was a great idea that in theory should make that the best performing semi auto? Oh well, so much for theory.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #5

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 790

I think the Cetme, G3, PTR91 rifle is unsurpast as far as reliability, accuracy in a smaller package. But, it is rifle to rifle and shooter to shooter. It can be a PITA to clean if you've not done it. The M1a is easier to deal w/ overall.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
JonM my go to gun has been and always will be a bolt action, but I think WWII pretty well proved that a bolt action is not going to knock a semi auto out of any fight. An unfortunately, I just can't make myself buy an AR anything. I'm not knocking them, but they just aren't for me.
i was speaking mainly accuracy wise. our military primary sniper rifle is still bolt action

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
I think the Cetme, G3, PTR91 rifle is unsurpast as far as reliability, accuracy in a smaller package. But, it is rifle to rifle and shooter to shooter. It can be a PITA to clean if you've not done it. The M1a is easier to deal w/ overall.
And the parts on the G3 and ptr91's can get pricey. They are fun firearms and are a pita to clean if you've never done one. Haha

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #8

Take a look at the Keltech RFB .308.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

As a previous long-time owner of the actual H&k original, this rifle is a BMW of shooting systems! Accurate to a fault, feeds everything you pump into it, recoils very lightly for a .308 and completely flat and even throws the brass forward and left about 30 feet, keeping with the German principle of throwing everything at the enemy. Out of every assault rifle I tried, this was my go to gun.

As far as cleaning is concerned, yes, it is more difficult than most simple, inaccurate rifles. However, like everything else that saves your life, it becomes a labor of love, and after you do it 10 or 20 times, it's as easy as any other firearm you own, plus you've gained the envy of everyone at the gun club because you can clean one of those "impossible" h&Ks.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How much of a difference is there between the PTR91 and an original H&K?