PSL or FPK as battle rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > PSL or FPK as battle rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default PSL or FPK as battle rifle?

I am thinking of the PSL, FPK or ROMAK-3 as a battle rifle. The ammo is is a lot less than 308 - 7.62x51. Anyone have any experience with these. I see that I can only find 10 round mags and the cost at least $25 each. I am aware of the 7.62x54R kick. Are they reliable? Any thoughts are welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

ive got one but havent fired it yet. there arent any larger mags for it. its basically a oversized ak47. they are accurate enough 800-1000meters and in wide use in the middle east. ive never heard of one not being reliable.

im not sure i would consider it a battle rifle as its not capable of sustained rates of fire. its more of a hit and run harrassment rifle on the battlefield or one used to take out key targets like machine gunners and leadership targets.

im taking mine out for the first time this weekend.

they are exactly like a big giant ak47 meant to fill the same role that the druganov svd does only cheaper to make and easier to maintain.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

one other thing. the only way i know of to make a psl stop dead in its tracks is to load the magazine wrong. if you hook the rim of a round behind the rim of the one below while loading the mag it wont cycle when it gets to that round.

its why you dont see a lot of rimmed cartridges in mag fed firearms you just have to pay attention while loading. that sort of thing isnt conducive to under stress loading of mags in the middle of a fire fight.

thats why the psl's role is as a designated marksmen/sniper firearm. shoot and scoot. reload when your safe.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

JonM sorry I didn't get back sooner, Our Sprint service had a local switch failure and Cable One went out at the same time. It was kind of nice the quiet and isolation. Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about this PSL some more. I have added the Ruger 308 Scout Rifle to consider as well. I really don't want to use a heavy as a battle rifle but am more looking for an auto that is good at 500 to 700 yards. We do have a 1000 yard range at the gun club I would enjoy using.