Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Pre-ban SA M1A help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pre-ban SA M1A help

Considering picking this up. Need a pre-ban for an EBR chassis if I decided to do one. What's your take on these from this time period? Worth the price instead of buying a brand new one for around the same $$?

Ad below:
__________________________________________________ ________

SA pre-ban M1A. Less than 500 rounds through it. Brand new sling and cleaning kit. Build date is 10/1990. Was bought brand new in 1991. I am the third owner. My uncle bought it new, sold it to his son and he (my cousin) sold it to me. In excellent condition! Includes: 2x 20 round mags, original stripper clip guide for the receiver and 45 stripper clips. This rifle has a TRW bolt.

Some more cool info. This serial # starts with 060***

Quote:
042201 to 063000 This is the serial number range that I refer to as the Golden Age of the M1A. The receiver design had fully matured by this time. The receivers were hand finished by the original designer and master craftsman, Melvin Smith. Springfield Armory, Inc. was awash in USGI parts during this period. Thus, factory built standard model M1A rifles in this serial number range were built with a very high USGI parts count.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

I do not have any experience with that time frame, but I would jump all over it!!! My biggest concern with older rifles is not knowing the condition or history, and you know both. Nice looking rifle!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

the older ones are considered a bit better in some circles since back then springfield was using surplus M14's stripping them down then reassembling them into non-FA ones so most of em back then had milspec parts. some people consider the recievers weaker but the M14 M1a M1garand M1carbine were never known for being particular strong so i think its a moot point. they just dont do well over long periods of time shooting very heavy hunting bullets. long as you stay in the 147-168grain range its a non issue.

the older springers tended to be 1:12 twist the new production ones are all 1:10

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, he is friend on the forum. We've bought and sold before. He wants $1,600 for it and will include 140rd battle pack too. I'm tempted.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Try and talk him down to 1,400 or so. Even if he sticks at 1,600 sounds like a good deal to me

Newest Threads