Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Pistol cal' carbine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know there's been a good bit of talk about them, but I've always been a "proper" rifle guy and never gave them much thought till now.

Basically, I'm just wondering what some good carbines would be for about the $300-$400 range would be. The main thing it'd be used for is punching holes in paper and any other things I could find that wouldn't make that big a mess. The other two uses would be for running and gunning out in a friends field as well as taking out a few gophers.

Last edited by kaido; 02-27-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

300-400 yards with a carbine is really pushing it unless you aim about 3-4 feet above the target. 100-150 yards can be doable with higher than standard pressure cartridges. +P or +P+ could reach out there and touch the target without too much elevation.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
300-400 yards with a carbine is really pushing it unless you aim about 3-4 feet above the target. 100-150 yards can be doable with higher than standard pressure cartridges. +P or +P+ could reach out there and touch the target without too much elevation.
I took it as he was looking in the 300-400 DOLLAR range, not yards.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by priell3

I took it as he was looking in the 300-400 DOLLAR range, not yards.
Sorry for the confusion guys. Just another prime example of why we should all use our little symbols more then we think. Haha
But yes, looking in the $300-$400 range.

I know of the hi point 995 and Kel tech's sub 2000, but I'm just seeing what other options there are. One reason for seeing about other options is because, in my eyes, the sub 2k is ugly as sin. Haha the hi point on the other hand looks good, but want to see what else is out there.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The little Spainsh Destroyer Carbine is a minature 93 Mauser. These were chambered in 9MM Largo, 9MM Luger, 38 Super. They were issued to the police depts. in Spain for many years. They sell for around $300 or $400 dollars on the web

9mm-carbine.jpg  

Old 02-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Sorry for the confusion guys. Just another prime example of why we should all use our little symbols more then we think. Haha
But yes, looking in the $300-$400 range.

I know of the hi point 995 and Kel tech's sub 2000, but I'm just seeing what other options there are. One reason for seeing about other options is because, in my eyes, the sub 2k is ugly as sin. Haha the hi point on the other hand looks good, but want to see what else is out there.
Mine was a bit more than you want to spend, but it has been reliable and fun to shoot. I have about 200 rounds of cheap ammo through it. www.jrcarbines.com

Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1714 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 545

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Carbine_Products.html
These are quite a bit higher but good looking carbines. I believe they offer a discount to FTF. Some one on the forum bought one and I have handled one but not shot it. You will only gain 100-150 fps in a carbine. The 9, 40 and 45 are too efficient to gain much. 357 and 44 mag will gain quite a bit. Kel-tec and Hipoint are about the only ones in your range. There are some after market parts for the KT that dress it up nicely.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
The little Spainsh Destroyer Carbine is a minature 93 Mauser. These were chambered in 9MM Largo, 9MM Luger, 38 Super. They were issued to the police depts. in Spain for many years. They sell for around $300 or $400 dollars on the web
That's actually pretty cool. I do want a Mauser so I might pick that up at some time in my life. But as of now, I'm looking for something that's semi-auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priell3

Mine was a bit more than you want to spend, but it has been reliable and fun to shoot. I have about 200 rounds of cheap ammo through it. www.jrcarbines.com
I actually seen yours in another thread and was digging it, but it looks like I shares the same trigger set up as an AR?

Reason that's an issue is because in Canada it'd be classified as "restricted" which basically means you can only take it to the range, gun smith and your house.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Carbine_Products.html
These are quite a bit higher but good looking carbines. I believe they offer a discount to FTF. Some one on the forum bought one and I have handled one but not shot it. You will only gain 100-150 fps in a carbine. The 9, 40 and 45 are too efficient to gain much. 357 and 44 mag will gain quite a bit. Kel-tec and Hipoint are about the only ones in your range. There are some after market parts for the KT that dress it up nicely.
Missed yours by seconds haha

I figured I'd have some fairly slim pickings in that price range. But the reason I'm not a fan of the KT is for the simple fact it looks to much like something I'd make with a hand gun I had no better use for. Reason I see it as his is because of the real thin looking stock. Just not a fan of it haha

After looking at the JR website, I'm a little bummed out. It is in fact an AR trigger group, so the laws here take most of the fun out of owning something like that.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #10

Liked 1021 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Hi-Point makes a 9mm, 40 and 45 carbine. I've shot the 9 or 40 (I don't remember) and it was fun and reliable. Plus it's a Hi-Point so it's in your price range if not below. The only negative is that Hi-Points are a pain to clean.

Barretta Storm CX4 is another option but it's higher than your price range.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson