Piecing together Long/Short rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Piecing together Long/Short rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Piecing together Long/Short rifle

I have recently decided get 2 rifles. I would like a rifle with a 26" barrel and another with a shorter(maybe 16" barrel). I was hoping to have 2 separate upper assemblies and use the same lower for both. A .308 would be my ideal platform. I dont think .223 is gonna have the knock i want for distance shots. So far I have decided that I want a POF.308 upper(short) and Rock River Arms .308 Varmint(long). Does anyone know of any problems that may occur with having a setup like this? Or, if piston driven uppers require anything to use with a lower from a diff. company?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

DJ,
Sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news but unless POF and Rock River advises the Uppers are made to fit what ever 308 Lower you have. You probably have a serious problem with them not being compatible. Most all of the weapons manufacturers that are producing a 308 AR Platform is pretty much proprietary. Meaning no one else's stuff will fit on their stuff!!!
You better check and be sure before you spend your money. If you or any of the guys ever have any questions about Rock River 308s and compatibility contact Steve Meyer at Rock River. Steve will shoot straight and tell you if it is or is not. And I would also think before I got anything longer than the 308 Varmint Barrel. They are damned heavy enough at that length. And the 20s at Rock River are 1 MOA or less rifles and uppers. Good luck and I hope you can put it together as you want.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Default Piecing together Long/Short rifle

OK thanks Sniper. I'm gonna keep looking. I know its possible with a lot of .223 rifles figured it wouldnt hurt to give it a try.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8862 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

You also have to look at cartridge length. I THINK most AR type rifles have a mag well that will not be long enough fro a .308 round.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #5

Default piecing together long/short rifle

Most ARs are in .223 or 5.56 but there are still a bunch that are .308.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDixon View Post
Most ARs are in .223 or 5.56 but there are still a bunch that are .308.
Yep, problem is that .308 platforms (AR-10B ?) come in 2 basic flavors...DPMS and Armalite, they are proprietary and non-compatible. AR-15s are for the most part public domain and 100% interchangeable

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #7

Thanks a lot Jpyle as I've been looking they seem to be the 2 companies that have the most options for that caliber. I think I am just going to build 2 separate guns. Theres a bunch of options that are good for one rifle and not for the other. Hopefully I can end up with 2 great guns to my specs. Thanks everyone for all the input.