Paintball trigger on a rifle
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Paintball trigger on a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Default Paintball trigger on a rifle

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1400203954.972932.jpg
In paintball, these long triggers allow shooters to shoot very fast. A lot of shooters can shoot over 20 shots per second. Most pro games have a max limit of 15 shots per second. Which actually is not that fast for paintball.
On a paintball gun, the trigger is EXTREMELY light. When it's pulled it contacts a small electronic switch. To shoot fast, two fingers are used to "walk the trigger". It's sort of a rapid alternating of the two fingers.
It would let people enjoy full auto rates of fire without all the hassle and cost of an actual fully automatic gun. It would also probably be way more accurate than a slide fire stock because the stock wouldn't be sliding around.
Could this ever be made to use on a gun? Also, would there be a way to make such a light trigger safer?
To see in a video what I'm talking about, go to YouTube and look up "this is paintball" it was made by a user called "hodge". The players in that video are only shooting 15 balls per second.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #2

Liked 1150 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2041

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
Attachment 143878
In paintball, these long triggers allow shooters to shoot very fast. A lot of shooters can shoot over 20 shots per second. Most pro games have a max limit of 15 shots per second. Which actually is not that fast for paintball.
On a paintball gun, the trigger is EXTREMELY light. When it's pulled it contacts a small electronic switch. To shoot fast, two fingers are used to "walk the trigger". It's sort of a rapid alternating of the two fingers.
It would let people enjoy full auto rates of fire without all the hassle and cost of an actual fully automatic gun. It would also probably be way more accurate than a slide fire stock because the stock wouldn't be sliding around.
Could this ever be made to use on a gun? Also, would there be a way to make such a light trigger safer?
To see in a video what I'm talking about, go to YouTube and look up "this is paintball" it was made by a user called "hodge". The players in that video are only shooting 15 balls per second.
Air actuated is always going to be faster . You have alot more moving parts in the AR than the paintball gun that need to reset. There are plenty of aftermarket triggers out there that reset fast with short throw that most would think are F/A

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-16-2014, 02:06 AM   #3

Would an AR be able to handle 900-1500 rounds per minute?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #4

Liked 1150 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2041

Sure until the barrel burns out . Lots of heat unlike the paintball gun. I used to play on a sponsored team many years ago . We used compressed air when everyone else was freezing their guns up with Co2 this was long before everyone knew about compressed air advantages. This was way back when automag and autococker were the topend stuff . Im not even sure if they are in business any more . Its been 15 + years since I have played

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-16-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #5

Couldn't a thick barrel, maybe water cooling system, or just waiting for the barrel to cool down solve that problem?
Do you still play? If not, you should start again. Paintball has changed so much. The technology is just so much better now. For example, we now have carbon fiber tanks that can hold 4500 psi instead of the metal ones that only hold 3000. They are so much lighter. We even have scented paintballs for some reason.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

Of COURSE you can control heat by the use of a heavy barrel.

browning_m2hb-1.jpg
Or cooling fins.
thompson-1919.jpg

Or a water jacket.
vickers-machine-gun.jpg

And you pay a penalty for each of those- added weight, loss of mobility, etc. And in the end, instead of an automatic rifle, you have an anchor. BTW- every try CARRYING enough ammo to feed one of those really fast shooters?

The M60 had a cyclic rate of 650 rpm of 7.62 NATO. 2 guns per platoon. EVERYBODY carried some ammo for the 60's.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

I wasn't intending this to be used by military or police. I just thought that it would be cool to have if you didn't want to deal with the government and pay the extra money for a real full auto. It's basically the same reason that someone would want a slide fire stock.
It'd be fun to have one in .22

Old 05-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

big difference between paintguns and real guns.

paint guns dont contend with heat, recoil, moving parts that need to reset, spring driven or belt driven feed devices

when you consider practical probelms of actual combat you dont have a hopper that holds several hundred bullets unless your toting a belt fed. there is little point to spray and pray. full auto isnt really terribly useful on a shoulder fired rifle or carbine. its fun but thats about it.

full auto is useful on a belt fed as it typically has enough ammo to keep a huge area under steady fire.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I wasn't intending this to be used by military or police. I just thought that it would be cool to have if you didn't want to deal with the government and pay the extra money for a real full auto. It's basically the same reason that someone would want a slide fire stock.
It'd be fun to have one in .22
i have shot a few fully auto firearms in the past, and yes, they are huge amounts of fun, but IMO pretty much impractical for most uses.

personally, i have no desire whatsoever to own a fully auto firearm. they would serve no purpose for me that my semi-auto firearms can't function in for me. but also a i fully agree and support any person who wants to won one to have one if they so choose to own one. 2nd amendment!
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Attachment 143878
Hey, that looks really cool. The paint ball trigger is looking amazing.