Optics for DPMS .223
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Optics for DPMS .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Optics for DPMS .223

I am currently purchasing a Panther DPMS .223 Bull 24, copy and paste this link to take a look at it... DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.
My next step for the rifle is to decide on the optics for it, I know I do not want a red dot. I am planning on using this rifle mainly for target shooting at mid to long range, although it will also be used for some hunting purposes, trying to shoot ground hogs out 300-400 yards and some predator hunting. I would like to keep the price under 250...so if anyone has iny information or advice I would appreciate it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Flat top, I presume. I should think a quality variable power scope, at least 3-9 x 40, or 4-12 x 40 should cover the ranges you mentioned.

Buy quality. I used to work for Leupold and I'm biased toward them, but there are many quality scopes on the market.

Don't go cheap though, you get what you pay for. It's been a few years since I was there, but their VX-2 models were around $200. They have much more to choose from these days and I'm certain their prices have increased.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Varmint hunting demands optics that are good. With a budget of $250 on a Bull 24. This is a varmint rifle that demands a high power scope. I am getting the RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle and I am toppign mine with a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm scope.

The Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40mm is going to be more productive on the hog fields and the Coyote draws.

When walking the fields we keep out scopes turned down to the lowest power that way we can pull quick off hand shots if need be. If we see a grass guzzler out at 300+ yards we have the time to sit crank the power and place our shot and call it. I have had shots present from 25 to 450 yards in a matter of an hour or two while out grass guzzler hunting.

I am one of the few people that will tell you to stay away from Leupold lower end lines VX-II and below they are not of the same quality or even close to the quality of the VX-III or VX-3 line and above. In the lower lines you are getting the cheapest glass they can buy and then they mark them up because it says LEUPOLD on the side. I had a VX-II and it SUCKS my Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40 was brighter clearer and much better for less money. I have since got a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x42mm and love it like a son. That is why I am going with a Nikon on my NEW hog stomper. I would buy the Lower end to get going then I would save money and when I got enough money I would upgrade to a much better scope.

Thats just me.

I prefer scopes in the $500-800 range as I think you get the best bang for your buck with these scopes. You are finding more and more with side focus and coating that equal the higher priced scopes.

Check out Optics planet and look around there most of the scopes there offer free shipping and they are great to deal with. Also look at SWFA Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more! if you look at the upper right hand corner of the screen on their home page look for "The Sample List" these are factory refurbs and demo scopes that are just as good as brand new and a fraction of the cost.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #4

Here is what im am gonna get for my .308. Only $180 if you shop around but its not variable power. Here is a review Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x

One of the guys i talked to shot a 1100+ yard cold bore with this scope.
(Note a man sized target.)

Or check out wotac. A little above your price range but i hear that they have alsome scopes and that they have the best customer service around.

Send them a email and they will answer every question you have.
WOTAC Rifle Scopes

Also i have a Nikon Prostaff on my DPMS and it is very clear and shoots like a champ.

Last edited by ShadowLID; 01-28-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I could afford another high buck scope I'd go with Leupold, I like their optics. As the good captain pointed and IMHO don't go any less than a 6X24. I use a 6X24 N.C. Star on my V-Match and it works quite nicely and holds zero on that 5.56. I set it and forget it. Lifetime warranty for around $150.00.