OEM or quad poll
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > OEM or quad poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Default OEM or quad poll

Hey just wanting to see what everyone's opinion is on hand guards for a "modern sporting rifle".

Do you guys prefer the original round hand guards or an aluminum quad rail?

spit hell fire

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5545 Times on 3138 Posts
Likes Given: 4853

Personally, I prefer OEM. The quad makes it too tempting for lotsa folks to hang totally useless "tacti-kewl" junk on the rifle.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #3

Liked 223 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
Hey just wanting to see what everyone's opinion is on hand guards for a "modern sporting rifle".

Do you guys prefer the original round hand guards or an aluminum quad rail?
Magpul here, smaller oval shape feels better to me. And i can add a rail if i really feel the need. Oem is my second choice. If you have ever shot in the winter without gloves you'll understand. Leave the tacticool stuff to the mall ninjas...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #4

Liked 2378 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I put a rail on mine, I don't like the moe look, I have covers on it. Doubt ill ever hang anything on it

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2096 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 756

I have the Magpul on mine. It currently has one rail on the bottom for a bipod/grip. I can add more if needed.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

Liked 223 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I have the Magpul on mine. It currently has one rail on the bottom for a bipod/grip. I can add more if needed.
Didn't think about using the bottom rail as a bipod mount. Maybe i will have to add a rail to mine. I' ve been using a us mil plastic bipod the few times i' ve needed one. You learn something new every day...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like the look, feel of the round solid on mine. Although I have a 4 sided gas block on the way to mount a bipod with..If need be it'll accommodate a flash light but Idk that I see the need in it yet.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 444

Are you going to shoot at targets inside of 100 yards? If so, it doesn't much matter what type of handguard you use. I'd stick with the lightest plastic handguard available. MagPul makes a good one with modular Picatinny rail mounting points and there's not much wrong with the stock carbine handguard.

If you want to shoot at targets 200+ yards away, then perhaps a free-floated rail system is in order. The aluminum quad rail design is old technology. Rail systems like the Troy Alpha Rail are much better from a weight and size/bulk standpoint. You can mount rail sections where you need them and don't deal with the dead weight of unused Picatinny rail.

Quality quad rail systems like SureFire also cost a lot of money. I have had two SureFire rails in the past, one carbine and one rifle. I'll never buy another. Troy beats it on both weight and features. For half the price you can have a Troy Alpha Rail and better modularity/configurability.

It's your cash, but if it were me I'd either decide whether or not I want/need free float capability for long range accuracy and then choose to stick with a plastic handguard (for short range carbines) or free float the barrel (for precision rifles). I can't think of any other "in-between" option that makes sense from a cost/weight/feature set standpoint.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #9

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Are you going to shoot at targets inside of 100 yards? If so, it doesn't much matter what type of handguard you use. I'd stick with the lightest plastic handguard available. MagPul makes a good one with modular Picatinny rail mounting points and there's not much wrong with the stock carbine handguard.

If you want to shoot at targets 200+ yards away, then perhaps a free-floated rail system is in order. The aluminum quad rail design is old technology. Rail systems like the Troy Alpha Rail are much better from a weight and size/bulk standpoint. You can mount rail sections where you need them and don't deal with the dead weight of unused Picatinny rail.

Quality quad rail systems like SureFire also cost a lot of money. I have had two SureFire rails in the past, one carbine and one rifle. I'll never buy another. Troy beats it on both weight and features. For half the price you can have a Troy Alpha Rail and better modularity/configurability.

It's your cash, but if it were me I'd either decide whether or not I want/need free float capability for long range accuracy and then choose to stick with a plastic handguard (for short range carbines) or free float the barrel (for precision rifles). I can't think of any other "in-between" option that makes sense from a cost/weight/feature set standpoint.
Damn. U hit the nail on the head for me. Thanks alot man. Appreciate it. I just bought the drop in quad rail from Midwest Industries because down the road I will get a red dot and a scope. But I'm just sticking with irons for now until I get very good with how to use em.

spit hell fire

Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

image-2166570094.jpg

Nice. My MI quad rail on RRA entry tactile.