Now I can afford an AR. Which one ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Now I can afford an AR. Which one ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1184 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 373

I think the OP got scared away

The Bushmaster Piston systems are made by POF so if your interested in more information about their system you can check out their website.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This is an epic fail of a thread.

Is there any way we can just delete the useless comments, and just leave the useful posts?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It would be better to just delete the useless members who insist on injecting their useless and inflammatory rhetoric into a thread asking for information and advice. There are several other old threads concerning the AK vs. AR debate - this didn't need to morph into another one!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
I have been reading quite a few threads concerning AR's.. Comparing this brand against another etc..
The local shop has a Bushmaster with the "piston" configuration..

Any feedback on this style of AR ??

Oh, and do not get "permanently partially disabled" in Wa. State while on the job ! You would be insulted by the settlement.. Meanwhile, my smashed kneecap is healing but arthritis is taking over now. The State does not give a darn for arthritis for the next 30 years.. OK, enough whine. Time to get some cheese..

That being said...I am totally confused as to where and when did the AR - vs - AK comparison even get mentioned by the original poster.

Yesicarry...

You'll find almost as many opinions on piston driven AR as you just experienced with the AR-AK debate you just witnessed

You mentioned a disability. Would that make basic firearm maintenance an issue? If so, the piston driven AR might makes things a little easier for you, in that they tend to stay a little cleaner during use.

No, they normally aren't as tack-driver accurate as the gas-impingement variety, but that is the main trade off between the two, besides price.

Other than that, the few piston driven models that I have (one being a Bushy), have been problem free, totally reliable, and never fail to start debates at the range

But to each his own...

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 09-02-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #15

Well honestly, if I were you, I would just stick by an AK for the simple reason that they are less expensive compared to an AR. But that's just me. I'm on a limited budget alot of the time and I simply hate waiting and saving for stuff. When you really get down and compare them, yes an AR is more accurate, better quality, better range. The one advantage that an AK has is that it can adapt more easily to environment. Really, I'd say it all depends what you're using it for. For home defense, I don't think it really matters. In fact, I'd say get a shotgun over an assault rifle for home defense. It isn't like you'll need to sink a few rounds at 350 yards defending the homestead. On the other hand, for hunting, I'd say get an AR... For competition/target shooting, go with the AR. Higher price, but you're getting more for your dollar with an AR. And I'd say of all the versions, Colt's version is my favorite AR. Don't know much about the Bushmasters. Haven't ever shot any.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-01-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #16

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
And I'd say of all the versions, Colt's version is my favorite AR.
I knew I liked you for some reason.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello