Now I can afford an AR. Which one ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Now I can afford an AR. Which one ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Now I can afford an AR. Which one ?

I have been reading quite a few threads concerning AR's.. Comparing this brand against another etc..
The local shop has a Bushmaster with the "piston" configuration..

Any feedback on this style of AR ??

Oh, and do not get "permanently partially disabled" in Wa. State while on the job ! You would be insulted by the settlement.. Meanwhile, my smashed kneecap is healing but arthritis is taking over now. The State does not give a darn for arthritis for the next 30 years.. OK, enough whine. Time to get some cheese..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would opt against the piston system if your are looking for a true tack driver of a rifle.

If you want a 16", will run in almost any condition on the planet, clear the wire, storm the beaches, type of AR - it's a better choice than an AK.

What, specifically, would you like the gun to do?

JD

Old 08-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #3

A gas pistol AR does NOT make a tack driver...pure BS. There has NEVER been an AR problem that could not be solved by cleaning it !

Special Forces in the desert wars had their HK 416's pulled from service due to problems.

Purchasing an AR should easier after making a specific list of what you want in features, what bullet weight you want to use and at what distance.
What is your budget amount ?

For HD a basic M-4 from anybody will work. Medium grade S&W. For out of box performance in trigger/accuracy = Les Baer. Varmint shooting..you will want a flat top receiver.

Make a list and go for it.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I found any firearm completely coated inside and out with dried, caked-on mud I would not expect it to function well enough to count on.

And why would somene leave his or her weapon in a muddy puddle until said puddle dried up?

They are both good weapons. IMO for a basic .223 semi-auto rifle I'd take an SU-16 over a standard AR, but that doesn't mean I'd have any qualms with keeping an AR for defensive or even offensive purposes.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Alright, the both of you settle down and I will provide a link to settle your "disagreements" Both rifles if maintained will function properly and do what they are intended to do. Personally I prefer the AK, they are to me, more reliable, plus every third world country uses them as their primary weapon of choice and it uses the 762x39 cartridge. Go to this link and make up your own minds and quit candy assing around.

We compare the AK-47 and the M-16

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Watch the flaming, gents. That said, cory made a specific point about ARs that is hard to dispute. However their are clearly other mitigating factors, IMO, that define reliability. An AK is relatively useless at greater distances than an AR. In most gun enthusiast circles an AR is considered a precision instrument, whereas an AK is a blunt tool. It's sort of like comparing a cordless drill to a hammer. Both do the same job, and while you can count on the hammer to never fail, it's sure a lot less work to get a better quality job done with the cordless.

Last edited by user4; 08-28-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

We all know the zombies are coming so having a "battle" rifle isn't a bad idea. I'm a handgun guy and until recently I didn't even own a rifle at all. With the AR prices coming down to earth I decided to get one just to have an all around tool. I talked with my AR gurus and they led me in the proper direction.

For my only rifle I wanted a "general purpose" tool, plinking, zombie defense, SHTF scenarios, etc. I found a lightly used Rock River flattop carbine, it provides good quality, flexibility and it's very close to mil-spec quality and features.

For optics, and with old eyes I need magnification, I selected the same tool our soldiers use - aTrijcon ACOG. I also picked up a detachable carry handle and a set of backup iron sights. For mags I chose Magpul Pmags as most folks say they're very good quality and reliable.

The rifle shoots better than I do, is reliable, and I feel as though I'm ready when the zombies arrive at the door. Had I not found the RRA, my choice for a new gun was the flattop carbine made by S&W. A buddy has one and it's a good value and very well built...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-28-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have two AR's and an AK. I paid a premium price to get a US made AK (Arsenal - made in Las Vegas Nevada) with a milled receiver, and I think it is a very high quality weapon - more than fit for it's intended purpose. I have also seen many really nice eastern european made AK's and many POS AK's that I would not even try to fire.

Every AR I have ever seen looks like a very precise piece of kit. And that, I think, is the difference. The AR's are all made to the same standards and have (reasonably) similar levels of quality. You can get a full range of quality (or lack thereof) with the AK's.

I love my AR's. But, I bought my AK because (my perception) if the SHTF, and there are lots of close in BGs, then I want the extra knock-down effect of the 7.62x39 over the 5.56.

TXnorton

Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's been said many times before, and I'll say it everytime this bullsh!t comes up - an AR-15 is no less reliable than an AK, and is light years ahead as far as accuracy. In fact, the words "AK" and "Accuracy" should not even be mentioned in the same sentence! Semi-automatic AR-15's DO NOT have reliability issues due to the gas impingement system. Only full auto and triple-burst M-16's & M-4's are susceptible to gas tube carbon build-up, and they are rare unless subjected to magazine after magazine of sustained fire. There are enough ex-service members on this forum with actual EXPERIENCE to bear this out! As far as the ridiculous and over-used rant about dragging your life-saving tool "through the mud" - only a total a$$hole would do that, which about sums up the qualifications, knowledge, and mindset of those who persist in trying to equate and compare the two weapons.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I would opt against the piston system if your are looking for a true tack driver of a rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
A gas pistol AR does NOT make a tack driver...pure BS. There has NEVER been an AR problem that could not be solved by cleaning it !

I'm confused. Are we cross??

JD