Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Norinco M14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I found some ammo lacally and wonder what your thoughts are on it??
200 round German Nato .308 battlepack from 1990’s for $120.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #22

Sounds kinda high...That's .60 cents a round. Most good surplus has been going for about .40 cents a round, even cheaper at the gun shows.
As M14sRock stated, I would stay away from the Russian steel cased and the Indian. I wouldn't want to kaboom a 1200 dollar rifle because I wanted to save a few cents a round.
FK, I bought some linked Hirtenberger this Spring at the Tulsa Gun Show for 60.00 for a 200 round can from a real nice guy who posts on Falfiles. Should have bought more...

Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #23

Yah, I asked what the bottom $$ is on it. If he comes back over $80 I'll pass on it. Now that I have an idea of what to look for and what to stay away from. I'm thinking about going to a local gun show this weekend to shop for some ammo.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #24

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
Yah, I asked what the bottom $$ is on it. If he comes back over $80 I'll pass on it. Now that I have an idea of what to look for and what to stay away from. I'm thinking about going to a local gun show this weekend to shop for some ammo.
The DAG is good stuff (Dynamit Nobel) but the bullets are magnetic (attracted to a magnet) so if your ranges have rules against "sparking rounds" be careful. Here in CA we are not allowed to shoot "magnetic" at ranges due to possible fire hazards.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 AM   #25

That Norinco was a fine looking rifle and in my opinion since you have a bolt mod it should function for a long time. Just find what it likes for good groups and knock you self silly. My only adversion is the stock color scheme. I do somethiong different if you have a buddy who is good with an airbrush.
Paul

To live is Christ. To die is gain.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #26

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice lookin rifle brother Nice lookin camo job to boot.

I agree with everything M14sRock has stated.

Not sure if you figure out what type of bbl you have. Can you identify any markings on the bbl itself?

All the Norinco OEM bbls I have seen were all chrome lined ,std contour, 7.62mm chambered 22in types with a 1 in 12 in twist rate. (Same with the Poly,s)
An excellent bbl from my dealings with them.

Any idea where the headspace is at? This might be worth checking, or having someone check it for you just for your own knowledge.
Have you noticed anything out of the norm with ejected brass? Any bulging along the sides and/or primers bulged out?

I dont bother with steel cased stuff either. ( Note: My Chins bbl M14's all like German MEN/ DAG/ Lake City and Win Q3130 the best when it comes to milsurp/Fmj.)

Norinco put out a very decent receiver. Own a few myself, and use them now as the basis of builds.

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 09-29-2010 at 03:16 AM.