Norinco M14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Norinco M14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Norinco M14

I am looking at purchasing a Norinco M14 and would like a little input from someone who is familiar with them. I have done some reading on-line and it seems some people think they are great and others say stay away from them. Here are the details and a pic of the one I am looking at.
Comes as pictured with 4 mags, sling, GI fiberglass stock, Bushnell 3200 scope, SA scope mount, Winchester bolt upgrade, upgraded flash hider/bayonet lug, cleaning kit and takedown tool. Asking price is $1250.

Stay away or is it worth a look??

m147.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

I think its worth a look. The Chinese rifles did have an issue with soft bolts, but since this one has been upgraded, no worries there. You might ask the owner if he knows WHO did the work on it, though.
The Chinese also forged there recievers vs. cast. Barrels are generally thought to be good on them as well.
At first look, the price sounds a little high, but figuring the upgrades and accessories included, it's in the ballpark.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #3

Default chrome lined barrel?

Thanks for the reply vapper. I did read that some of the Norinco barrels were chrome plated and have a much longer service life than a standerd barrel. I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if the barrel is chrome plated or not??

Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #4

It is my understanding that the Chinese barrels were all chrome-lined.
I am no expert on the m14/M1A by any means. I have owned a couple, one being a Poly-Tech which was made in the same factory as Norinco.
I still have it, have shot it a lot with no problems or complaints.
I'm new around here too,, hopefully some of the old M14 hands will join in on your post soon. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable and friendly folks on here.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have one they are great riffles for the money. Do you know when it was imported?.
The upgrades are good . To buy a scope mount you are looking at $125.00-$250.00 , the scope is worth about $300.00 the stock I'm not sure as well as the bolt.
There are a few things that you can do to make them more acurate.
1. any place the upper hand gaurd touches the stock sand it off.
2. where you take out the gas piston there is a screw on bracket that conects the gas cylinder and the barrel. unscrew this reverse it and screw it back on . this will tighten up the hand gaurd and gas block.
3.get a NM spring rod guide and spring.
4. you can also bed the stock.
Can the guy come down a bit in price,you don't know how many rounds he has put down range.
Get an action buffer for wear and tear on the reciver.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #6

All the upgrades were done before he purchased it, and he is not sure when it was imported. Being the bolt was changed out, my guess is it's an early import. He is willing to sell the rifle less scope and rings for $950. I am going to look at it tonight, and plan to make an offer if everything checks out.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
All the upgrades were done before he purchased it, and he is not sure when it was imported. Being the bolt was changed out, my guess is it's an early import. He is willing to sell the rifle less scope and rings for $950. I am going to look at it tonight, and plan to make an offer if everything checks out.
Will he keep the scope base on it . If he does $950.00 is not so bad.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #8

Yes the scope mount is included in the $950 price. The $1250 price also includes a double side Pelican gun case and 20 rounds of 308 match ammo.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you need a scope and rings the Bushnell 32 ellite and rings fore $300.00 is not to bad then it is already sighted in and you can go right to the match amo.
For me setting up the gun is part of the fun. That and working up loads that shoot as acurate as the gun can be. Once I have a gun shooting the best ,I get board and have to move on to my next project.
F.K.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #10

Yah, I like the scope that's on it and need one anyway. I'm going to look at it in about an hour. I'll post and let you guys know how it goes. I have wanted an M14/M1A for a long time so I pretty much know how things will go.