Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > New Stoeger Cougar Reassembly Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Stoeger Cougar Reassembly Help

I just got a brand new Cougar, Sliver 9mm. When I got it home I took it apart(what i assume everyone does) and was putting it back together. When I got it all back together, it worked fine however, I noticed the metal guide rod sticks out the front of the gun just as much as the barrel.

Is this normal, or am I messing something up? The manuel shows the guide rod and spring fully through the center block. On mine, there is a little lip on the side of the center block that the back of the guide rod goes through that won't let the guide rod go through the center block.

Again not sure if this is right but when i rack the slide it seems to function normally, the only noticable difference is the guide rod sticking out of the front of the gun.

Any and all help is appreciated!!!
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome, I'm not familiar with that weapon but maybe someone will stop by with an answer.

Oh, look what I found! Is this your gun?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #3

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's what a friend told me;

I have found that the best way to re assemble is to hold the slide upside down in your left hand. Place the barrel and the block/spring assembly over it in the correct manner (it only fits one way). Then keeping it all upside down, carefully slide the frame into the rails, again upside down. Invert and flip the locking lever and voila!!! just pull the slide a few times to make sure that it all fits/works and you 're done!!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

I guess I need to rephrase my question... My main concern is that my center block, unlike the one in that video, has a lip on it were the back part of the spring/guide rod(so the part that faces the rear of the gun) is unable to move past a certaint point. My question is am i supposed to only push it to the lip or should i be able to get it past the lip?

Again, Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 AM   #5

that lip is not supposed to be there and yes that gide rode is supposed to go all the way through the block try and shave it down or something maybe just a defect

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Before shaving or doing anything, do you have pics you can post?
Show the underside of the slide with barrel and guide rod in place.
Close ups of the guide rod will really help.

camcardschark and chad2, welcome to the FTF, please stop by the "introductions" section and tell us about yourselves.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT