New owner of SKS, educate me. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

New owner of SKS, educate me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #31
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11023 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

A brief note on slamfire problems- the SKS uses a floating firing pin- free to rattle back and forth. When cosmoline that has dried and hardened for 40 years gunks it up, and it is stuck in the forward position, chambering a round and letting bolt slam forward makes it fire- safety or no safety- hammer never fell. It will empty the mag unless firing pin unsticks itself. Not urban legend- have been involved in shooting case whee this happened.

Cure- clean the firing pin channel, be sure pin can move, and have muzzle pointed in safe direction when chambering a round. For first shooting of a NEW to you gun, onlly load 2-3 rounds- if it goes full auto, limits the WHOOPSY factor.

There has been discussion about adding a firing pin spring to these, but mine work fine when kept clean. Have had one since 1968.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #32

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default sks-parade polished version

were the honor guard fancy sks used buy soviet bloc /china and croanies availiable for sale in the us

Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
here is another view of the rear sights, model. I pointed an arrow to the windage screw.
Whoa! I just took another look at your sight & thought about my SKS. My SKS has an adjustment mechanism for elevation that i don't see on yours. Mine looks very much like the one on my buddy's WASR/AKclone. That is an odd rear sight.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #34

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

That is a pretty odd sight in the rear. But it does make for a much larger sight radius. I wouldn't mind one o those myself. Man..Now I got That in my head too..Thanks..Thanks a lot!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #35

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Just had a friend stop by and I bought a chinese sks for a $150...
What a good price for a norinco! That is 1995 pricing... Not that they are worth a million bucks today, but you can't find them at gun shows for under $300, unless it's totally worn out.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good price on an SKS these days.

I love the SKS. For the money, it's very hard to beat it.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #37

c3shooter:

Months ago a guy on a different website posted a link to an article from the "Sacramento Bee" newspaper.
A few years ago a guy was killed at a range near there when his SKS suffered a slamfire.

Several shots went off very quickly and the last shot got him. He must have been standing right above the rifle.