Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > New owner of SKS, educate me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1678 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

I have the Tapco Compliance kit. Worth every penny. You won't be sorry with the T6. I can also vouch for the Tapco 20 round mags. I have 3. They work great. I also have a metal 30 round mag that somebody gave me. It sucks. Stick with Tapco. You can't go wrong with them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #22
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6752 Times on 4080 Posts
Likes Given: 8065

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Just had a friend stop by and I bought a chinese sks for a $150. I figured I can't go wrong for that price. I however don't know anything about sks's. Please educate me on the SKS. It has chinese markings with a a triangle marking that looks like a number 606 in it. The stock is heavily worn, but the mechanics seems sound. The bolt will hold back with an empty clip, but will slam shut as soon as I remove the clip. Is this normal. Also I cannot get a new clip to seat unless I hold back the bolt. Is this normal. Shouldn't the bolt hold back to receive a new clip? Can someone tell me about this. Thanks in advance.
Totally off topic but does it have a spike on it?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #23

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Mine in a Tapco T6 stock

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Default sks

The Chinese SKS has 2 barrel configurations. One is a threaded barrel and the the other is pinned. You can identify a threaded barrel by the flat surfaces on top & bottom of the the barrel where it meets the receiver. There are also milled & stamped trigger groups.

That steel detachable magazine pictured is for a Russian or Yugoslavian SKS.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-08-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: More Detail

Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #25

thanks for all the replies. I just ordered the t6, a new gas piston tube with the weaver mount, the extended mag release and a 20 round tapco magazine for 120 bucks. Not a bad score if I do say myself.

It did not come with a bayonet, the the stock has a low relief cut. I assume it is for a spike not a bladed bayonet.

It is has a threaded barrel and the trigger guard and disconnecter looks to be stamped. Everything else looked to be milled. Also back sights seems to be original but it has a milled windage blade on it. Doesn't look like any of the ones I have seen on line at least that I have found.

I did hear about slam fires. does this occur with the safety on. How do I remedy this.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Also back sights seems to be original but it has a milled windage blade on it. Doesn't look like any of the ones I have seen on line at least that I have found.

I did hear about slam fires. does this occur with the safety on. How do I remedy this.
Odd, i don't remember a windage adjustment on mine.

Take your bolt out & shake it; if you hear the firing pin rattling, you are probably safe. There was some cat in TX with a fix, lemme look.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=66263.0 thread with a video, by the Murray guy who has the fix (other than strict cleanliness). http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-08-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #27

I took the bolt apart and pulled the firing pin out. it looks really good, no rust, nor corrosion. It rattles back and forth without any effort. I am an avid gun cleaner almost to a fault, so I hope I will not have an issue with slam fires.

Here is a pic of the back sight of the sks. I couldn't find anyone else that had this setup. It looks very original to the rifle.

windage.jpg  

Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #28

here is another view of the rear sights, model. I pointed an arrow to the windage screw. Check out the post on the front sight. I painted it with a layer of pearl white than a hunters orange fingernail polish from Clairs. It is the brightest orange I could find. It literally seems to glow even with a little bit of light. The picture is a little misleading since it is glowing from the reflection of my phone camera, but is it is still very, very bright. I use this on my 45 and 38 as well.

windage-2.jpg   606.jpg   post.jpg  

Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Check out the post on the front sight. I painted it with a layer of pearl white than a hunters orange fingernail polish from Clairs. It is the brightest orange I could find. It literally seems to glow even with a little bit of light. The picture is a little misleading since it is glowing from the reflection of my phone camera, but is it is still very, very bright. I use this on my 45 and 38 as well.
Like Rudolph's nose! How seasonally festive can you get.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #30

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default sks

good score ....they will probably keep rising in value ..i wish now i still had mine ...damn good guns ....3 billion chinese cant be wrong .if i ever get another one ..i want the fancy polished up one used by....i guess their version of the honor guard..see them on tv ..chinese army on parade .if they are even sold here?