Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > New owner of SKS, educate me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I didn't think so myself, but this is new to me. I am looking for an original 10 round fixed magazine, anyone know where to get one. I can't find one on the net or it is all sold out?

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
I didn't think so myself, but this is new to me. I am looking for an original 10 round fixed magazine, anyone know where to get one. I can't find one on the net or it is all sold out?
Magazine Original 10 Round Magazine SKS Rifles. - $39.00 : Buymilsurp.com, Your source for military surplus.

They list one with no numbers as well. Are you wanting this for stripper clip usage?

edit* I gotta ask, have you used the bayonet as a monopod yet? I don't advise sticking it in the ground much.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-02-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #13

Yep wanting to use stripper clips. I have two detachable mags, but woudl like to have the original magazine as well. Thanks, I found one last night and ordered it along with some stripper clips.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Wow you're going the wrong way ..HEH, That's one of the great things about the SKS is you can go several different ways with them. I have always thought they where one of the most fun carbines to shoot there is. Watych the gun showsa and online dealers for ammo sales and you can get it pretty cheap. I sure wish it go back to pre BO prices. Before that guy they dang near gave the stuff away.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #15

I was reading on some of the other forums, can't remember which right now, that the prices of sks has remained high because there are not allowing any more imports of them. I am not really sure if this is true, but it should sure would explain the price jump like on the original mags. and scarcity of parts. Can someone varifiy if this is true.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've talked to a few shop owners and while some say they have heard that others are saying it's BS. So I really can't say. If that was the case I'd imagine the price will spike some time soon though. They are still cheap when compared to AK's.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Yep wanting to use stripper clips. I have two detachable mags, but woudl like to have the original magazine as well. Thanks, I found one last night and ordered it along with some stripper clips.
I was gonna mention how they have stripper clips at every gunshow i've been to, and usually for cheap. If you decide you want a receiver cover-based scope mount, holler first; i have tried two and they are both now in the spares pile and would be available for someone else to be disappointed in.

Have you seen the peep sights? Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories I am in the process of adding some to my SKS, having a bit of difficulty with the removal of the pin in the receiver cover latch rod thingy.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #18

funny you mention that I was just looking at that exact sight. Also I too had a really difficult time removing the pin of the latch cover. I found out my cover was not seating properly because some idiot who had this before I did must have smack the back of the receiver with a hammer and created a raised lip on the back. They must had the same problem as well. A little light filing with a metal file and it seats fine now. Pin pops right off. Also notice some lacquer build up on the bottom of the receiver was causing the cover not to sit properly as well. I wonder if this is from the lacquer from the ammo, or someone tried to finish this without taking the stock off. In either case it works fine now. I think I am going to pick up the tapco t6 stock. Hope this thing is as nice as people have been posting. I have to say, the sks is a wonderfully simple rifle. Easy to work on and easy to fix.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I think I am going to pick up the tapco t6 stock. Hope this thing is as nice as people have been posting.
I am happy with the t6 i have on my SKS. I will say, though, that it makes the rifle seem a bit front heavy (mine has the full-length barrel, not the "paratrooper").

Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #20

Congratulations!
Just in case you've not yet read about "slam-fires":

They might be quite rare, but a guy at a range in Sacramento was killed when this happened. An article in "the Sacramento Bee" describes it.
People claim that they are caused by some dirt or cosmo being left in the firing pin channel. The firing pin can somehow get stuck and protrude a bit. You can learn lots at "SKSboards".

My Norinco is very typical and gets used more often than anything (except the .22) as the main plinker, to avoid using higher-priced ammo in the Garand or reloading time for the Enfields.

Last edited by Laufer; 12-08-2010 at 07:01 AM.