Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > New owner of SKS, educate me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New owner of SKS, educate me.

Just had a friend stop by and I bought a chinese sks for a $150. I figured I can't go wrong for that price. I however don't know anything about sks's. Please educate me on the SKS. It has chinese markings with a a triangle marking that looks like a number 606 in it. The stock is heavily worn, but the mechanics seems sound. The bolt will hold back with an empty clip, but will slam shut as soon as I remove the clip. Is this normal. Also I cannot get a new clip to seat unless I hold back the bolt. Is this normal. Shouldn't the bolt hold back to receive a new clip? Can someone tell me about this. Thanks in advance.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Just had a friend stop by and I bought a chinese sks for a $150. I figured I can't go wrong for that price. I however don't know anything about sks's. Please educate me on the SKS. It has chinese markings with a a triangle marking that looks like a number 606 in it. The stock is heavily worn, but the mechanics seems sound. The bolt will hold back with an empty clip, but will slam shut as soon as I remove the clip. Is this normal. Also I cannot get a new clip to seat unless I hold back the bolt. Is this normal. Shouldn't the bolt hold back to receive a new clip? Can someone tell me about this. Thanks in advance.
All of this is normal. All is well! Enjoy your new purchase!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You say it's Chinese...It the M or D type that uses AK mags? Made by Norinco?
The things you mentioned are pretty common. I have a Norinco I got some years back and paid over 150 for.If all the mechanics are fine that you got a great deal. You can always change the stock. You will just have to make sure it will fit the M or D type that use the different mags. If it's wood you get to looking for then this is much more important. Stocks like the Tapco Fusion stocks have some that are made to fit both but also have specific models. I put a Tapco on mine and it has made it a lot more fun to shoot. There's a pic in my gallery here if you wanna see it.

The SKS is a great rifle to shoot. It's pretty accurate but not a tack driver. THe rifle adn ammo wont break the bank so you can get a good but of trigger time. There's all kinds of aftermarket dohickies for them. Try to not get carried away..It will still be an SKS in the end after all. But there all kinds of ways to make your unique to you. Ifthe stock is not too dinged up you can always refinish it. I did the one mine come with and it looks great.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The SKS is a very good carbine for the money.

They were designed for stripper clips with a semi config from the beginning...saying that.... the magazine mod is not perfect, and takes practice to swap them out quickly. btw.. I recommend tapco 20 rd mags.

You can open the bolt without a mag in...open the bolt..push up the little pin/tab then slowly bring the bolt back to rest on it. Still be careful though .its not super sturdy....it could still get your finger pretty good if your not careful.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #5

how do you know if it is a D or M magazine.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do your mags look like this.

or this

Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Its not, "606" its 666!

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 11-30-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies.

Actually this the mag for mine. From looking on the web I guess this is a removable mag for the sks, I guess the ak mags don't fit on mine.

This is what's stamped on it. It has a triangle marking with 606 in it, three chinese characters following and a seven digit number. From what I can gather it was made in a chinese factory 606. Does anyone know when these were made?

sks-mag.jpg  

Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #9

Ok I just took the sks apart to clean it. From what I can tell from watching people on youtube disassembling the sks, I seem to have an extra part in mine. My sks had a spring in the piston tube, wapped around the piston. That is in addition to the one directly under the rear sight. Is that suppose to be there? Also can someone recommend some good aftermarket clips and stock. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Ok I just took the sks apart to clean it. From what I can tell from watching people on youtube disassembling the sks, I seem to have an extra part in mine. My sks had a spring in the piston tube, wapped around the piston. That is in addition to the one directly under the rear sight. Is that suppose to be there? Also can someone recommend some good aftermarket clips and stock. Thanks.
I don't have that spring in the gas tube, just the one on the operating rod, under/inside the rear sight assembly. Odd. Maybe the spring was a bit weak? Mine came in what is probably a "ramline" montecarlo-style stock; if you are thinkin more of huntin than plinkin, it might be an option for you to explore, not light though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.