New gun.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > New gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New gun.

Hello I'm new I'm JJ,
So I want to buy my first semi-auto rifle, i don't have much knowledge about all different makers and which one is good or bad. What would be a good rifle for a beginner for about less then $700?
Thanks

JJ

CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9165 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Hi JJ, and welcome.

Your question is sort of like "I want to buy a car- what should I get?" Well, depends on what you want the car to DO. Get tremendous fuel mileage, attract girls, ride very well, go very fast, or go off road 4 wheeling an tow your camper?

For a FIRST rifle, for anyone I would suggest a .22. They are relatively inexpensive, minmal recoil, cheap ammo, and a good learning tool. You should be able to find a good Marlin 60, a Remington 522, or a Ruger 10/22 well within your price range.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A small single shot 375 h&h would be perfect for you!!
They dont come in semi auto, but it has very little recoil. But has plenty of power to kill a deer.

No go research this gun and you will see i am full of sh!t

I agree with c3, a 22lr of any sort is a perfect 1st gun. The options he mentioned above a perfect examples.

Welcome to FTF, hope to see you around

Old 09-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

C3 thanks for info, I saw Some .22 like mossberg 715 t. I also liked the ruger 10/22 . I'm going gun dealer tomorrow to check them out

FTF, that 375 is a beast of a gun! I saw the reviews and on YouTube. Looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks for the advice .

JJ

Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

.22's are cheap to shoot, so practicing is very inexpensive. Practice with the stock open sights until you're proficient and then you can think about scopes.

After you've mastered the .22, then you can look at larger calibers. You'll also have a better idea of what you want.

BTW, have you had any safety instruction? If you're new to shooting, may I suggest a basic firearm's safety class. It's the best way to start out.

Read about rifles here and other places and start learning what you may be interested in. There's a whole world of firearms and an incredible amount of options.

Let us know what you buy,

CA357

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacruz412
Hello I'm new I'm JJ,
So I want to buy my first semi-auto rifle, i don't have much knowledge about all different makers and which one is good or bad. What would be a good rifle for a beginner for about less then $700?
Thanks
My first was the Marlin .17hmr with a bull barrel. I put a Leopold 3x9 on it and OMG! Just acquired a single shot .22 from my uncle. For plinking and practice, you can't go wrong with the.22. Hours and hours of fun for next to nothing. .17 hmr has more kick and would get you accustomed to recoil and the volume of larger calibers.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

+1 10/22
+1 AR15

If can afford to shoot a .223/5.56 the Ar is great. Average cost of factory ammo is about 30 cents a shot.

If you want to shoot all day long, and like to tinker and modify your gun, a 10/22 will do the job for 3 cents a shot! you can change EVERYTHING on your gun should you so desire. This a great starter rifle and fun adn pretty easy to modify!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey folks,

Thanks for the advice I really researched many guns like the different makers, caliber, and model. After talking with the gun dealer and my father I purchased a S&W AR-15 5.56/.233.
Now I'm just waiting for ten days to get my gun

JJ

Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Gonna make a wild guess......

you must be in California......

Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya I am haha.