Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > New AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default New AR-15

Proudly, Saturday, I will become the newest member to AR owner family. I'm going after work to pay my remaining balance on a Century Arms 5.56mm AR with 20" barrel and solid stock. I work with several guys who have different AR variants mostly 5.56 though. I was told by them to stay away from Lake City ammunition. My dad bought his back in the 80's and he said just use military ammo. What is the best ammunition to use in this rifle? Keep in mind that I make $12.50 an hour with other bills, so I don't have a lot of cash to spend. I like reliable and cheap.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, congratulations on your purchase. I am sure you will enjoy shooting it and quickly become hooked.

I recently bought 500 rounds of Federal XM193 Ball, 55 grain, for about $225 cash. That is about .45 a round, which ain't cheap - but it's good quality ammo and with all ammo going through the roof, it was the best deal at the time. I run a 16 inch barrel, and my accuracy is good, about 1.5MOA off the rest, which is fine for what the weapon is built for.

There is nothing wrong with Lake City stuff, but you have to maintain your gun with good cleaning practices. You will hear stories about copper fouling and failure to fires, but I have personally never had that problem with any of their stuff.

Now, you got a 20' barrel, so you might be looking at more of accuracy based round. I don't have any of the figures at hand at the moment, so one of the guys can probably recommend a good quality ammo that you can shoot tight groups with for you. However, you might want to consider reloading if one of your friends has the gear, or you can get your hands on some cheap. With the monthly bills adding up, reloading is a good way to get a lot more range time with less of a bite in the pocket book. If you can get a couple buddies to chip in on the supplies, you can all make out.

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 02:06 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

congrats on ya new AR, I run everything thru mine from lake city to steel cased monarch without a problem. AR sells have picked up big time, I sell several a day now and picking up steam.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 AM   #4

I'm not sure what my dad uses but I know it's the same stuff he used in his issue rifle in the national guard and he says it's not too bad on the wallet and it's pretty reliable ammo. I was gonna buy a DPMS Panther Lite, 16" barrel but decided to shop around first. I went less than 2 miles across town and found the Century Arms AR for $599 compared to $750 for the DPMS. I actually wanted the shorter rifle cause it's easier to get in a out of my pick-up with it but I couldn't pass up the price.

As far as cleanliness goes, I never put a firearm away dirty. I've actually cleaned some of my guns when they weren't dirty just cause I was bored.
Thanx for the info, I've wanted an AR for years but never could afford it. Maybe now I can get my wife to go target shooting with me.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Every time I go to WalMart I buy a box of Remington 55gr. FMJ's for under $10 a box. They give me under an inch in accuracy out of my RRA with 20" barrel. I also reload a lot which saves me about 40% over target ammo prices. I have a DPMS AR also, and they warn against usning steel cased, laquer coated ammo. Supposedly the chamber temps can melt the laquer which then bonds to the chamber walls and eventually will cause problems including failures to extract and possible stuck cases.
PS - Welcome to the AR brotherhood!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I have a DPMS AR also, and they warn against usning steel cased, laquer coated ammo. Supposedly the chamber temps can melt the laquer which then bonds to the chamber walls and eventually will cause problems including failures to extract and possible stuck cases.
Thanks RL - That was something that I did not know.

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thanks RL - That was something that I did not know.

JD
Your welcome JD - I didn't either until I bought the DPMS rifle - now I won't use that stuff in any of my rifles...

Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #8

Ammunition is about the only thing I don't buy in Wal-Mart, I don't have anything against the ammo they carry but a box of Remington UMC 7.62x39 costs about $9 when I can just get Wolf at a small local gun shop for $4. I know it's a cheaper brand but like I said I only make 12.50/hr and it shots fine in my sks anyway. I will look into getting my 5.56 there though, thanx.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Ammunition is about the only thing I don't buy in Wal-Mart, I don't have anything against the ammo they carry but a box of Remington UMC 7.62x39 costs about $9 when I can just get Wolf at a small local gun shop for $4. I know it's a cheaper brand but like I said I only make 12.50/hr and it shots fine in my sks anyway. I will look into getting my 5.56 there though, thanx.

Your WalMart is much cheaper than mine! Remington 7.62's around here are $13 a box! I shoot Wolf in my SKS - I don't much care if it gums up, I only paid $250 for it and it's not a target rifle! My AR's are another story. $915 for the RRA and $850 for the DPMS - they get the best food available...

Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #10

Yeah, I'm the same way with my SKS. My guns get cleaned alot anyways, plus like you said it's not a target rifle. It sure is fun for making noise and making holes in old appliances. I think I got you beat on the SKS price though. I bought it from a co-worker about two years ago for $75 dollars. It was military used condition with a few dings. I happened to be working on the same jobsite when he realized his truck payment was overdue. Friends in a money pinch= good deals. I have a pic of it in my gallery. It's got a dragunov stock on it now.