need help: trying to find more info on our thompson 45.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > need help: trying to find more info on our thompson 45.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need help: trying to find more info on our thompson 45.

we have been trying to find out what year our thompson 45 is. i have searched the internet and looked for pictures on there and cannot find ANY that look the same.

made by Volunteer Enterprises and has address on it but NO patent number or patent pending only other mark is 1247 just to the upper left of the Companies mark.

If anyone can help that would be great! pics are attached. also they are posted on my albums page.

2012-02-19_11-20-34_186.jpg   2012-02-19_11-21-06_471.jpg   2012-02-19_11-22-00_920.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sorry partner, it's not a Thompson but a cheap copy of one made by a company called Volunteer Enterprises which became Commando Arms, the top reciever is stamped steel and the lower was made from aluminum and were machined. they were made between 1976 to around 1990. the original Thompson was made from all machined steel components and are fully auto, so they are very, very expensive. what are your plans for it?

Last edited by Axxe55; 02-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

like mentioned above, you don't have a Thompson.

i think your's is an early Volunteer Enterprises commando modelled after the Eagle & Spitfire carbines made in the 60's. from my understanding, those companies all kinda melted together. when one company failed, they started up a new one under a different name & so on & so on. kinda like bryco, jennings, jimenez, etc. did over the years.

my guess is your gun might be late 60's-early 70's. value? do a search on gunbroker for eagle carbine or volunteer & see what comes up

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Semi auto Thompson's are still made by Auto Ordinance. They are not what you have.
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao-quality-guns.asp

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

Thanks for all of your help in letting us know more about what we have. It's my husbands gun and he plans on keeping it even though its not a real one. He says he has lots of other cool looking guns that arent worth much either but they are just toys for him.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbricke1 View Post
Thanks for all of your help in letting us know more about what we have. It's my husbands gun and he plans on keeping it even though its not a real one. He says he has lots of other cool looking guns that arent worth much either but they are just toys for him.
You guys can still have fun shooting it.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It uses "M3 grease gun mags" and bear a passing resemblance to an Ingram M-6 SMG - Gordon Ingram's design before he gave us the Ingram M-10 "MAC" SMG.

Considering the cost of a replacement .45ACP carbine of any brand - you have a keeper there!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Looks like a Eagle Carbine 45
eaglecarbine.jpg

Here's a 2008 ad for one, hope it helps.

Eagle Open bolt .45 Carbine (built like a grease gun, looks like a thompson) $1800

eaglecarbine1.jpg

We've got a little something special for you guys today.... one of our out of state guys snapped up this little gem before anyone else figured out what it was.

She's an open bolt semi automatic .45 cal carbine called an "Eagle"

Back in the 1960's this was a poor man's plinker, and was manufactured alongside another (nearly identical) carbine called the "Spitfire" which you all might have heard about.... what with the BATFE reclassifying them all as machine guns and forcing them to be registered.... You see they had this little problem where in between the safe position of the safety and the fire position... there was this place where you could stick the selector and it would run full auto.... (the eagle variant used the dissconnector as the ejector so it didn't have the same issue with the fire control geometry)

Well, the Eagle managed to slip under the radar somehow and is still considered to be a Title 1 firearm.... Its a crude, simple, and absolutely fantastic.

This is as close as you can get to an open bolt greasegun in the state of CA... some owners have actually dropped standard greasegun bolts into these guns to aide in extraction under sustained rapid fire.

These use regular grease gun magazines and are..... well... for lack of a better word just freaking awesome.

We were able to get an amazingly low price on this thanks to our out of state purchaser jumping on it immediately... and instead of charging what its actually worth, we're going to pass the savings along to you guys....

So this bad girl can be yours for the dirt cheap price of $1800 +tax If you pay via cash/check/or money order we will ship to your local FFL for free, or we will give you free dros here in our store in Fresno.

She's currently being modified for CA compliance (she needs a mag lock and a 10 round mag) but will be en route to our store shortly.

We may never get another chance to bring you one of these at this price in this condition.

Someone is going to be VERY happy with this little girl.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello