Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Need help... caliber that can be used for both rifle and handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If a bear got in your house would you settle for a handgun caliber and then worry about what the game warden thought of your choice?
I would choose the handgun calibers to make it suffer. There wouldn't be any game warden involvement; i got a great shovel.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

Plus you don't have to use FMJ in your house. A 50 gr HP or soft point will fragment at even lower velocities.

Shooting anything in your house is dangerous, period. Any ammo that will penetrate deep enough into a human to stop them will penetrate wall board and still be dangerous on the other side. Pick something you can hit with. Pick something that hits a bad guy hard and dumps it's enrgy into them. But it must penetrate to get to vital organs and create significant blood loss. If the round you use does this. it will be dangerous to anyone in the house. if there is only one or two walls between them.

Dawg, Check this site:

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

He's a retired cop, and has doen a lot of testing.

A fast light fragmenting bullet is safer than a heavy one that stays in one piece and keeps trucking.

Bottom line is drywall doesn't stop much, even pistol rounds. Most will penetrate 6 walls completely.
I agree that the next room wont be a safe place, but you need to think about others also. A slow moving handgun bullet or buckshot probably wont have the velocity, trajectory or energy to go thru an exterior wall, across the street and thru another exterior wall and kill someone like a rifle round would. I think you are right about fragmentation bullets but a handgun with frag bullets would be a better platform. I've shot thru 1/8" steal plates with .223 JHP bullets, don't count on that bullet doing as advertised.

Fact is, if that stray bullet kills someone other then the bad guy, you will be responsible for their death and right or wrong the 12 people that judge you are going to view your AR with all the attached toys as pure evil and you as a careless trigger happy anti-government outlaw. Your far better off killing the bad guy with dads .38 or a non tactical shotgun.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #43

Liked 209 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg45 View Post
I agree that the next room wont be a safe place, but you need to think about others also. A slow moving handgun bullet or buckshot probably wont have the velocity, trajectory or energy to go thru an exterior wall, across the street and thru another exterior wall and kill someone like a rifle round would. I think you are right about fragmentation bullets but a handgun with frag bullets would be a better platform. I've shot thru 1/8" steal plates with .223 JHP bullets, don't count on that bullet doing as advertised.

Fact is, if that stray bullet kills someone other then the bad guy, you will be responsible for their death and right or wrong the 12 people that judge you are going to view your AR with all the attached toys as pure evil and you as a careless trigger happy anti-government outlaw. Your far better off killing the bad guy with dads .38 or a non tactical shotgun.
In any case, you need to be proficient with whichever firearm you chose for home defense. Hit what you shoot at (unlike NYC cops). My personal choice for a home defense caliber is .40 cal. Most of the cops in my area have it, and that would help with the jury, and it has enough behind it to put the bad boy down for the count. Don't need 2 rounds, just one to the chest and he is done. I am in a 2nd amendment friendly state, which helps a lot.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #44

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have several 9mm pistols and a 9mm carbine. 9mm ammo is cheap and low recoil. It's a good place to start. If you want to enjoy the great outdoors you will soon want a larger rifle. I highly recommend appleseed for new shooters. You won't get caught up in the mall ninja crowd and you will learn the very best shooting techniques. All you need to participate in appleseed is a .22. Here is a link to appleseed.org