Need help... caliber that can be used for both rifle and handguns - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Need help... caliber that can be used for both rifle and handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
Looks like the OP has left the building...
Indeed he has

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #32

Marlin camp carbine in 9mm and 45cal

Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #33

Liked 220 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Here is a thought: get a receiver marked multical, then have dedicated uppers, depending on what you want to do with it at the time. That way, if you need to deal,say, with an intruder, you could have your 9mm upper on standby with mags close at hand. The 9mm won't have such a risk of overpenetration as the 5.56, so if a loved one is close by when you have to shoot a lesbian zombie, the odds of penetrating your target, the wall behind it, the oak headboard and footboard, and then your child are significantly reduced. Once you pull the trigger, you own the bullet, so my money for home defense is a pistol round.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a
Here is a thought: get a receiver marked multical, then have dedicated uppers, depending on what you want to do with it at the time. That way, if you need to deal,say, with an intruder, you could have your 9mm upper on standby with mags close at hand. The 9mm won't have such a risk of overpenetration as the 5.56, so if a loved one is close by when you have to shoot a lesbian zombie, the odds of penetrating your target, the wall behind it, the oak headboard and footboard, and then your child are significantly reduced. Once you pull the trigger, you own the bullet, so my money for home defense is a pistol round.
Would that be a "butch lesbian zombie" or a "lipstick lesbian zombie" ? If it's butch, my money is on a 12 gauge.... -_-

Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #35

Liked 2186 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
9mm penetrates as much or more wall board than many .223 rounds. If you don't stick with FMJ a nice 50gr HP will break tend to fragment when it hits wall board at velocities over 2400 fps. So it may actually be safer than a 9mm

Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
9mm penetrates as much or more wall board than many .223 rounds. If you don't stick with FMJ a nice 50gr HP will break tend to fragment when it hits wall board at velocities over 2400 fps. So it may actually be safer than a 9mm
But when you are 'splaining your actions to the police, i'd bet the pistol caliber response is an easier sell.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
But when you are 'splaining your actions to the police, i'd bet the pistol caliber response is an easier sell.
Once they are in they house it doesn't matter. I don't have to 'splain why I used the tool I used, other than it was the tool I had at the time. And, if said cop wanted to really know the logic behind my choice and I explained that it was chosen because it posed LESS danger to others, then what would really seem to be the more responsible choice.

If a bear got in your house would you settle for a handgun caliber and then worry about what the game warden thought of your choice?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

Once they are in they house it doesn't matter. I don't have to 'splain why I used the tool I used, other than it was the tool I had at the time. And, if said cop wanted to really know the logic behind my choice and I explained that it was chosen because it posed LESS danger to others, then what would really seem to be the more responsible choice.

If a bear got in your house would you settle for a handgun caliber and then worry about what the game warden thought of your choice?
I guess I don't see drywall stopping a .223, have you tested this? And Would you trust your kids lives to this with them in the next room?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #39
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg45 View Post
I guess I don't see drywall stopping a .223, have you tested this? And Would you trust your kids lives to this with them in the next room?
It has been tested quite a bit and there are plenty of studies on line. The 55g 223 tumbles and will hit the remaining walls sideways. The 62g is another story.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
It has been tested quite a bit and there are plenty of studies on line. The 55g 223 tumbles and will hit the remaining walls sideways. The 62g is another story.
Plus you don't have to use FMJ in your house. A 50 gr HP or soft point will fragment at even lower velocities.

Shooting anything in your house is dangerous, period. Any ammo that will penetrate deep enough into a human to stop them will penetrate wall board and still be dangerous on the other side. Pick something you can hit with. Pick something that hits a bad guy hard and dumps it's enrgy into them. But it must penetrate to get to vital organs and create significant blood loss. If the round you use does this. it will be dangerous to anyone in the house. if there is only one or two walls between them.

Dawg, Check this site:

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

He's a retired cop, and has doen a lot of testing.

A fast light fragmenting bullet is safer than a heavy one that stays in one piece and keeps trucking.

Bottom line is drywall doesn't stop much, even pistol rounds. Most will penetrate 6 walls completely.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 08-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.