Need details on S&W M&P AR-15 options
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Need details on S&W M&P AR-15 options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need details on S&W M&P AR-15 options

After Tuesdays election, I have decided if I am going to own an AR-15 class rifle, I had better get on the stick and order it. I am a big S&W fan, and I like the looks of their M&P 5.56mm with a 30-round magazine. I am aware that "which AR-15 should I buy" is a *huge* can of worms, and I'm not interested in debating that right now, I just want some specific help with this particular rifle.

Here's the deal: when I go to KYGunCO (just using their "Search" function for this example) and do a search for S&W M&P 5.56 mm rifle, I get a ton of results. Even if I add "under $1000" to the search, I still get 7 different configurations (models ?) ranging in price from $650 to $980. I would be willing to pay $600-700. Can you folks help me grasp what is the difference in all these models ? What do I *not* get if I buy the $650 model instead of the $980 model ?

Hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance !!!

Mike Acord

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I went on the site. All I saw was the three words in life that vex me like nothing else "out of stock". Are you sure you weren't looking at the .22 caliber instead of the 5.56?
Welcome to FTF.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

If I click "5.56mm" and don't restrict the price, I get 12 results. If I pull the price slider down to $999, this is reduced to seven, with prices ranging from $649.99 to $990.99. I am trying to figure out the difference in these 7 models, and which one I want to buy.

Yes, almost all are out-of-stock at the moment...this will pass.

Thanks for your reply!!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to the forum, when you get a few seconds head over to the introduction section and put in a blurb for yourself.

I have the S&W M&P15X which came with a Troy quad rail and a Troy back up iron sight (BUIS). I paid a bit over a thousand for it. Some S&W M&P's like the "Sport" model are in the $700 range. That model has pretty good reviews but the materials used are not the quality that a higher priced rifle has.

I've copied the S&W specs for the rifles for you to get an idea what comes with what model. The prices listed are factory prices and are usually bettered by places like budgunshop.com, cdnninvestments.com, or you can google sites that sell the M&P's.

To add: anything with a 22 in the description is a .22 cal rifle.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_750001_750051_757784_-1_Y

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 11-11-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #5

Liked 627 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 1680

I can shoot an inch group at 200yds with my M&P Sport.

Great rifles, good prices, pick the one you like the most and go for it.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 75 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Hey Bud, some of the differences are what some of the parts are made of. Some barrels are 4150 CMV, some are 4140. Some have chrome lined barrels, some don't. Some have 1 in 8" twist, others have 1 in 9". Some have standard handguard, others have quad rail free float handguards. Some have fixed front sight post, others have flip up sights. Some have forward assist, others dont. Thats why there is such a difference in price. So you have to decide what it is you want or need and then go from there. If you are not sure what you want or need, give us some info on what you will be using it for and we can give you some info to help you out.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #7

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacord
Can you folks help me grasp what is the difference in all these models ? What do I *not* get if I buy the $650 model instead of the $980 model ?
The $650 model is probably the "Sport" model. The main differences of this one is a very basic set of fittings, a non chrome lined barrel and no ejection port cover or forward bolt assist.

If you don't feel the need to cover the gun with Picatiny rails and lots of accessories the basic fittings are not an issue and if you later change your mind they are easy enough to replace. While the barrel is not chrome lines it is melonite lined which is actually offers some advantages over chrome. Finally, some people think the cover and forward assist are unimportant while others won't buy a gun without them. You'll have to decide this for yourself.

If all you want is a basic AR you can't really go wrong with this one. I've had one for about a year and could not be happier with it. .