Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > My Garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default My Garand >>> Range Report Added

I finally got my Garand. It's a Springfield manufactured in 1943. It's cleaned and lubed and headed to the range in the morning.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-12-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I absolutely love Garrands and I miss the one I had quite a few years ago. IMO the .30-06 is a great round especially with the new componets that have become available for it in the last several years.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yup, I'm extremely fond of the .30-06 myself, and I agree, there's an awful lot of flexibility in ammunition these days.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Nice buy. Don't forget to bring a camera and give us a range report tomorrow. I wish I was spending Easter at the range...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for reminding me. I just put the camera in the range bag. I'm obviously a lousy photographer, but a picture of a hole is a picture of a hole.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Range Report

So, I took it to the range with a full bandoleer of Greek surplus ammunition.

Range was 100 yards.

There were several failures to feed, but other than that, it ran well. I'm going to field strip and clean and lube the heck out of it and that should make a difference. I'm also going to change out the op rod spring.

The first four clips were everywhere, but mostly low and left. I adjusted the sight for the last clip and this photo shows the results. The wind was coming up, and we had shot for a while, so we called it a day.

I shot my Mosin 91/59 for the first time today as well. Using Yugo ammunition, it shot really low at 100 yards. Darn thing kicks like a mule too. The Mojo sight gives a really nice sight picture. I can see that I'm going to have to file the front sight down a bit.

So, some filing and a recoil pad and back to the range with the Mosin.

The Garand will have to go with me every time I shoot long guns. I really need the familiarization.
Today was my first time shooting a Garand ever. Mongo like!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
So, I took it to the range with a full bandoleer of Greek surplus ammunition.

Range was 100 yards.

There were several failures to feed, but other than that, it ran well. I'm going to field strip and clean and lube the heck out of it and that should make a difference. I'm also going to change out the op rod spring.

The first four clips were everywhere, but mostly low and left. I adjusted the sight for the last clip and this photo shows the results. The wind was coming up, and we had shot for a while, so we called it a day.

I shot my Mosin 91/59 for the first time today as well. Using Yugo ammunition, it shot really low at 100 yards. Darn thing kicks like a mule too. The Mojo sight gives a really nice sight picture. I can see that I'm going to have to file the front sight down a bit.

So, some filing and a recoil pad and back to the range with the Mosin.

The Garand will have to go with me every time I shoot long guns. I really need the familiarization.
Get some better ammo than that Greek Surplus and you should get much better grouping. Also, a good cleaning is good but when it comes to oiling, Garrand actions like it very lightly. I'll be curious how much copper you'll pull out of the barrel also. It may be more than what you just have shot through it.

And yes, those Mosin's are terrible recoil beasts. Especially the ones with the standard length barrels. Actually I've heard they are more accurate with the bayonet out.

Oh, on one other note. I've been considering getting another M1 Garrand for several months now and since reading your post yestarday my motivation has become out of control. I really loved the one I had many years ago.

A few months ago I found a company called McCann Industries out of Spanway, Wa. and I bought a few parts for my M1A. On further investigation of his website I saw that he has new M1 Garrands that he heavly modifies and sells new in .338 Win and .458 Win. These rifles I believe are intended for "Guide" rifles for big trophy game guides to use as backup for their clients. Regardless, having a Garrand in .458 Win. has become totally impossible for me to resist.

Kind of crazy, I know, but I cant help it!

Damn! If I do this, I'll have to go to Africa and go for one of the "Big 5" Trophy Game.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-12-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It's called "Garanditis".......

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Garands rock!

I just attended my first CMP shoot last month and it was a blast.

I submitted my paperwork and order shortly after for my Garand. Now the wait begins.

What a great rifle.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinzitu View Post
Garands rock!

I just attended my first CMP shoot last month and it was a blast.

I submitted my paperwork and order shortly after for my Garand. Now the wait begins.

What a great rifle.
Excellent! Post pics and a description when it comes in.