Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default problem

i have a problem known as short stroking, and i have tried everything i could to fix it but whenever i fire my rifle the empty case will be ejected but the next will not load in. whenever i forgot what grain i used but when i use something more powerful the gun works like normal. i would use the Greek ammo but it is attracted to magnets and my range does not allow them.

please help, thanks.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #52

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qanwar View Post
i have a problem known as short stroking, and i have tried everything i could to fix it but whenever i fire my rifle the empty case will be ejected but the next will not load in. whenever i forgot what grain i used but when i use something more powerful the gun works like normal. i would use the Greek ammo but it is attracted to magnets and my range does not allow them.

please help, thanks.
If you are using commercial ammo that is not designated for the Garand you are risking damage
Use only good quality M2 Ball surplus or Hornady and Federal's Garand specific ronds.
If you must use other commercial ammo you must use a adjustable gas screw or you run the risk of Op Rod damage and cracking the reciever heel from the accelerated rate of recoil from the incorrect ammo.
If your gas screw is tight problems could be from a out of spec Op Rod piston or out of spec gas cylinder or the rifle needs a good cleaning and needs to be lubricated with grease

Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #53

Default thanks orlando

thanks for the info, the ammo you told me is not attracted to magnets is it and can you tell me where i can find this ammo. i went to range and shot the rifle and it didnt work correctly as i told you but when i used these hunting special rounds my dad gave me it worked just like normal, im not sure but i think they were 168 or 165 grain by federal. and another question if you could help my rifle is a 1943 model and the stock is to but my garands stock is light colored than other peoples stocks of the same era why is that, it was used by my great grandfather in ww2.

I really appreciate you helping me out or i would have never fixed my rifle.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thats the bad thing about shooting corrosive ammo ina Garand. It must be completely dsassembled including the gas cylinder.
If you dont corrosion may result under the cylinder on the barrel
Boy, I guess I'm confused on all this flip-flopping. Remove-don't remove, your postings sure lead to confusion. Does this ring any bells?

"Do not remove the gas cylinder every cleaning, you will prematurly wear out the gas cylinder splines. The gas cylinder does not need cleaned. It is stainless steel and pretty much self cleaning, and is meant to be dry, no oil.
Do your complete tear down and clean once a year "

Personally I don't remove the cylinder unless it needs replaced, and that hasn't happened yet. If shooting non-corrosive there is absolutely no reason to remove it unless you have cycling issues as a result of fouling, even then a good cleaning with a patch and solvent with the cylinder on the rifle will take care of it.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #55

I'm not flip-flopping, not that hard to comprehend. No reason to remove gas cylinder to clean UNLESS shooting corrosive ammo, then you need to do a complete tear down and clean.
This is why I would never shoot corrosive ammo in a Garand.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #56

Quote:
I'm not flip-flopping, not that hard to comprehend. No reason to remove gas cylinder to clean UNLESS shooting corrosive ammo, then you need to do a complete tear down and clean.
The quote mentions nothing about corrosive ammo, be consistent in how you present your POV.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #57

If you would start reading at the beginning of this thread at the beginning you will see we were talking about corrosive ammo.
I am consistant on the facts, you need to be more consistant on your reading and comprehending skills

Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Show me where it recommends a complete teardown in the FM after shooting corrosive. With my limited comprehension skills I couldn't find where the Army did this.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #59

Yawn
I'll type real slow so maybe you will understand
They changed to a chromed gas port becuase the barrel would rust under the gas cylinder when using corrosive ammo.
It helped but is still possible for corrosive primer salts to get under and past the chromed area and corrosion can be the result
Its just good common sense
You dont have to agree, I'm done